• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

More Guardianship Drama.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I have posted before about being my cousin’s guardian. 10 years ago she had a Coumadin overdose and since I am the only relative in the area, it fell to me. She has a brother, but he has a moderate developmental disability.

She made a miraculous recovery and we went to court to have the guardianship dropped. For real, her attorney either left town or died without filing the determination.

So here I am.

Earlier this year (I posted about this, here) she was being evicted from her state run apartment because it was squalid. It was beyond comprehension.

She told me housekeepers were coming and they were, but she wouldn’t let them in. She is schizophrenic.

Before she was evicted, she had to be admitted to a care facility due to a foot infection. Then the pandemic hit.

Someone got a grant to shovel out her apartment.

Here’s the deal.

I live 25 miles away from her apartment. I have no idea what was left by the contractor. I know her bed is gone. Probably all her dishes and stuff.

This is complicated by the fact I don’t even know how to drive.

Also, every time I try to call anyone, all I get is voicemail. I don’t even have the key to her apartment.

She told me she is being discharged on Wednesday. This may or may not be true because she says things that are far fetched, like her lawyer is paying for her funeral. She said the housing authority is buying her a bed. Which may or may not be true.

I have dishes and things she can have.

She cannot stay at my house because I cannot manage a schizophrenic person. Plus my landlord lives in the downstairs and he’s a jerk.

I have a letter from probate court waiting for me at the post office.

This is really beyond me. I don’t have the resources to help her. I’ll still talk to her and be her friend, but this is beyond me.

How much trouble am I in?

Just Blue

I have posted before about being my cousin’s guardian. 10 years ago she had a Coumadin overdose and since I am the only relative in the area, it fell to me. She has a brother, but he has a moderate developmental disability.

She made a miraculous recovery and we went to court to have the guardianship dropped. For real, her attorney either left town or died without filing the determination.

So here I am.

Earlier this year (I posted about this, here) she was being evicted from her state run apartment because it was squalid. It was beyond comprehension.

She told me housekeepers were coming and they were, but she wouldn’t let them in. She is schizophrenic.

Before she was evicted, she had to be admitted to a care facility due to a foot infection. Then the pandemic hit.

Someone got a grant to shovel out her apartment.

Here’s the deal.

I live 25 miles away from her apartment. I have no idea what was left by the contractor. I know her bed is gone. Probably all her dishes and stuff.

This is complicated by the fact I don’t even know how to drive.

Also, every time I try to call anyone, all I get is voicemail. I don’t even have the key to her apartment.

She told me she is being discharged on Wednesday. This may or may not be true because she says things that are far fetched, like her lawyer is paying for her funeral. She said the housing authority is buying her a bed. Which may or may not be true.

I have dishes and things she can have.

She cannot stay at my house because I cannot manage a schizophrenic person. Plus my landlord lives in the downstairs and he’s a jerk.

I have a letter from probate court waiting for me at the post office.

This is really beyond me. I don’t have the resources to help her. I’ll still talk to her and be her friend, but this is beyond me.

How much trouble am I in?
Try calling the Dept of Mental Health and see what resources are available for your relative.

https://www.mass.gov/orgs/massachusetts-department-of-mental-health

Just Blue, I just need to get her settled in. I have no idea what, if anything is in her apartment. She doesn’t even have any shoes.

She is so excited about being discharged. If she is even being discharged. Someone explained to me that she really believes what she says.

No question there, I’m just rambling.

Update: I have asked Carolyn’s lawyer if he could find a new legal guardian. I will still be her best friend, but the legal stuff is beyond my capabilities.

The most important update. I spoke to the rehab center ‘s social worker and the manager of the apartment complex. There are people coming to assist her. She will be getting a life alert button.

Here’s the big part. The apartment manager set up the entire apartment for her. The housing authority bought her basic furniture and the manager got her household items, some from her own home!

All she has to do is walk in the door. I will try to get there on Wednesday when she gets home.

I was so worried. I got her sheets and towels and stuff.

I’ve never said this before, but I am humbled by what these two ladies have done for my cousin.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Update: I have asked Carolyn’s lawyer if he could find a new legal guardian. I will still be her best friend, but the legal stuff is beyond my capabilities.

The most important update. I spoke to the rehab center ‘s social worker and the manager of the apartment complex. There are people coming to assist her. She will be getting a life alert button.

Here’s the big part. The apartment manager set up the entire apartment for her. The housing authority bought her basic furniture and the manager got her household items, some from her own home!

All she has to do is walk in the door. I will try to get there on Wednesday when she gets home.

I’ve never said this before, but I am humbled by what these two ladies have done for my cousin.
It is wise to know your limitations.

Just Blue

That is wonderful Nellie!! I am so happy for Carolyn!

Carolyn returned to her apartment on August 26. I was unable to go that day, but went on the 27th. The place was freshly painted and she had a new mattress and table and chairs. I brought her some cleaning supplies and toiletries and sheets and towels.. I ordered some shoes and a mattress cover

Today I received a call from her very irate nurse practitioner. No service providers have been arranged. She was supposed to have meals on wheels, physical therapy, housekeeping, life alert, the whole nine yards!

The nurse practitioner verified this with the providers.

The nurse practitioner said the care facility “lied.”

I can only monitor her via the telephone, but she calls me every few hours. She has the capacity to order delivery food and I brought her some milk and cereal.

Who do I need to call?

Her lawyer?

Elder protective services?

quincy

Carolyn returned to her apartment on August 26. I was unable to go that day, but went on the 27th. The place was freshly painted and she had a new mattress and table and chairs. I brought her some cleaning supplies and toiletries and sheets and towels.. I ordered some shoes and a mattress cover

Today I received a call from her very irate nurse practitioner. No service providers have been arranged. She was supposed to have meals on wheels, physical therapy, housekeeping, life alert, the whole nine yards!

The nurse practitioner verified this with the providers.

The nurse practitioner said the care facility “lied.”

I can only monitor her via the telephone, but she calls me every few hours. She has the capacity to order delivery food and I brought her some milk and cereal.

Who do I need to call?

Her lawyer?

Elder protective services?
Both elder protective services and her lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">