• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mortgage Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

4545allen

What is the name of your state? Virginia but mortgage company is in TN

About a month and a half ago my mortgage company claimed that I was a full payment behind which is $599.60. I didn’t question them because they threatened me with legal recourse so I sent them what I could at the time which was $400. I am still getting notices and phone calls stating that I am still $599.60 behind. I requested a statement of my account and this is what I have found: they have applied my $400 payment to an overage account. In addition to that I have $21.31 in the overage account. Why are they not applying to that to my mortgage making me only $178.29 behind.

Secondly, beginning in January 2003 I changed my payment option to monthly payments in the amount of $599.60 instead of biweekly payments in the amount of $284.57. They had me fax them a signed note stating that I would be making my monthly payment on the 15th of each month in the amount of $599.60 beginning in January. In February they called me and told me that I was $284.57 behind. Again I didn’t question it, I paid it because, again, I was threatened with foreclosure. I do question it now that I have had the opportunity to look at the statement they sent me. According to the statement they recorded the $284.57 payment as a January 10th payment. This has me paying $884.17 in the month of January, the month that I was to begin my monthly payments. I asked them to apply this to the amount that I was behind since it was obviously an overpayment. This was their response, “According to the history, Vanderbilt received a written request to remove the loan from the biweekly program. When a loan is removed, the last payment date is considered in comparison to the monthly installment contract. Per your installment contract, the first payment due date is 6/15/01. The 15th is used as the base to determine the next due date. Since the last payment made was the 1/10/03, and the new monthly due date is always rolled ahead, the next monthly installment due was the 1/15/03 payment. Two biweekly payments fell in the monthly time frame of 12/15/02 to 1/15/03, so no credit is due.” When I entered into the verbal contract with Chris (my account representative) which changed my biweekly payment program to a monthly payment program this was not told to me. What was told to me was that I was to make one monthly payment in the amount of $599.60 beginning in January. I did sign a fax agreeing to one monthly payment in the amount of $599.60. I was not told nor did I sign a contract agreeing to the statement in the 11/5/03 letter. I was not told nor did I sign a contract agreeing to two monthly payments, one in the amount of $284.57 and one in the amount of $599.60. Therefore, I made an overpayment in the amount of $284.57.

With the $421.31 in the overage account and the January 10th $284.57 payment I am actually ahead. They are refusing to agree to this, what can I do? Also, can they foreclose on my home while this is in dispute?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">