• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mortgage interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cinderdella

My son lives in a 2family home in Seabrook, NH the first floor apt is occupied by his grandmother whose name appears on the deed of the house, but she does not pay any of the mortgage pmts, she is only listed as owner. How will my son be able to claim the 13,000.00 that he paid in interest over the last year? Is there a way for his grandmother to claim the interest for him? Please advise, Thank you so much for your help. AH

L

loku

Interest on home

I believe that since the expense is the grandmother’s, your son can not deduct it; however, it sounds to me like the payments were gifts he made to his grandmother, so she can deduct the payments as interest expense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">