• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mortgage interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I will shortly be moving from my current residence to a home I recently inherited from my mother. I plan on using my current residence as rental property. It will be totally paid for in 6 years. How do I treat the mortgage interest on this property on my Federal income taxes? Obviously I have alwasys included it in my itemized deductions, but now that it will not be my primary residence, but rather a revenue generated residence, how do I claim the interest on the mortgage? I live in Oklahoma.



Rental expense

You will have to attach a Schedule E to your income tax return to show the income from the rental. On that schedule you will deduct all the expenses of the property, including the mortgage interest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential