• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mortgage sold in the middle of insurance claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

c.m.baker

In the state of Michigan.

We had a small fire in our home, and are living in temporary housing that the insurance company is paying for. The insurance company issued an RCV check, which has both our names and our mortgage company on it, which is the practice under law as I understand it. We signed the check, sent it to the mortgage company.

The mortgage company delayed for a month in issuing the first draft for our contractor, so no work happened. While speaking on the phone to my mortgage company trying to sort out what the delay is, one of the employees noted that my loan is flagged for sale to another bank. In my reading of the law, the bank is required to notify us 60 days in writing in advance of such a sale, they did not. We pushed the mortgage company to send an inspector and issue the second draw, which is supposed to happen at 50% of the work completed. They issued the second draw, there is only one draw remaining which is supposed to occur at 95% work completed.

My question is, do I have any legal mechanism and standing to force the bank to not transfer my insurance claim? To end the situation by either sending me the remainder of the insurance check, or to keep it and see the claim process through to the end? This transfer of the loan will introduce more delay in the process, keeping my family out of our home even longer, unnecessarily. The way I am looking at it, the insurance claim money is not theirs to transfer, it's mine.

adjusterjack

In my reading of the law, the bank is required to notify us 60 days in writing in advance of such a sale
What law is that? Cite the statute number. I've had many mortgages sold and the first I know of it is the letter welcoming me to the new mortgage company.

do I have any legal mechanism and standing to force the bank to not transfer my insurance claim?
No.

the insurance claim money is not theirs to transfer, it's mine.
No it isn't. Read your mortgage contract, the part about insurance claims.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your current mortgage company delayed the start of the project by 30 days. You might find that the new mortgage company is better than the old one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">