• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Most I can expect form SSDI when using parents work history

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DisabledGeek89

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am living in Northern VA and I am using my Mother's work history since I have not worked a paying job yet due to my disabilities. I have Asperger's and depression. I am getting SSI that is 771 (the max) and am wondering how much my Mother made over the years will affect my SSDI. Any ballpark estimates of both SSDI and how much it will affect my other benefits?

LdiJ

I am living in Northern VA and I am using my Mother's work history since I have not worked a paying job yet due to my disabilities. I have Asperger's and depression. I am getting SSI that is 771 (the max) and am wondering how much my Mother made over the years will affect my SSDI. Any ballpark estimates of both SSDI and how much it will affect my other benefits?
The only thing that I can personally tell you is that You would only get additional money if your SSDI is greater than your SSI.

So, for example, if your SSDI would be 500.00, then you will still only get 771.00. It will be 500.00 of SSDI and 271 of SSI. However, if your SSDI would be 850.00, then you would get SSDI of 850.00 and no SSI at all.

DisabledGeek89

One person I know of, who is on the system gets 1300 a month, is that just SSDI from his father's work history or combined? Also note that he got this after his father passed away.

Last edited:

Eekamouse

You aren't precluded from getting a job if you have AS. There are jobs you might do well with. Are you in treatment for your AS?

DisabledGeek89

So are you in treatment for your depression?
I am but I do need money to get by until I recover. Which is why I have been trying to add SSDI to my SSI or just get SSDI. I also have anxiety problems due to my debt issues and money issues. I live in a world on anxiety, depression and regret.

Janke

I am but I do need money to get by until I recover. Which is why I have been trying to add SSDI to my SSI or just get SSDI. I also have anxiety problems due to my debt issues and money issues. I live in a world on anxiety, depression and regret.

That is part of the problem. The first S in SSI stands for Supplemental. You don't get to add to the supplement. The supplement is reduced by your other income sources.

If the parents had substantial earnings over substantial years, then the CDB can be substantial. It can also be small if earnings were small.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">