• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motel question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Florida. When my friend gets arrested for refusing to leave his rental apt he will probably give me a call. He is mentally ill and won't realize he really has to leave until he gets arrested. My question is: If I were to pay for a motel for him for 2 days ONLY would I have any legal problems if he were to refuse to leave the motel after the 2 days are up? I want to help but I don't want to get myself into any legal trouble. Thanks.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Florida. When my friend gets arrested for refusing to leave his rental apt he will probably give me a call. He is mentally ill and won't realize he really has to leave until he gets arrested. My question is: If I were to pay for a motel for him for 2 days ONLY would I have any legal problems if he were to refuse to leave the motel after the 2 days are up? I want to help but I don't want to get myself into any legal trouble. Thanks.
If your name is attached to his motel in any way, shape or form you could have a problem. If you give him the cash and he does it himself, then no.

kimcara94

Paying for a motel for a friend for two days doesn't automatically make you legally responsible if they refuse to leave after. However, local laws and motel policies may apply.

quincy

Most motels and hotels require identification so that, should damage occur to the unit, the motel guest can be located and held responsible.

Thanks to all. Yes. I will give him the cash and have him use his own ID card to get a room. I hope to God he doesn't refuse to leave the motel. He's mentally ill and you cannot tell him anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">