• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother charged with trespassing to pick up child from father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BGregg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Maryland
My daughter went to pick up her 11 year old son at his father's home at the end of his scheduled weekend custody visit. She had her 3 year old with her.
She parked across the street and walked to the front door and knocked.
The "father" opened the door and began to shout , "Can't you read!!??. There is a no trespassing sign right there!! I'm calling the police!!"
She got her son back and went home .
Now , she has received a summons to appear in court for trespassing and 4th degree burglary (what ever that is) .
This "father' has been in child support arrears for years and in court many times.
He has been found in contempt and just pays enough to stay out of jail.
This is obviously a situation that was stirred up because the "father" wants to get back at her for his failure to pay child support .
She cannot afford an attorney .
what can she do ?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BGregg

She has typically picked up her son as the father's location reliability has been , at best, sketchy and unpredictable.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Because she had LEGITIMATE reason to be there (aka pickup the child at the END of a visitation period), I suggest bringing in the court papers and witness to what is typically done when she goes to court.

I take it that dad wasn't bringing the child back, right??

BGregg

No...he typically causes as much confusion as he can ... says he "forgot" , car broke down ..any lame excuse he can come up with. So, she picks up and drops off .
My concern is the impact on the child ---his mom in court because his dad says she is trespassing????!! She does not want to have to stand in the street and hope someone sees or hears her calling for her son. Plus, that's not safe if she has her other child with her.
Is there any thing such as a malicious claim in trespassing ?

TinkerBelleLuvr

Generally, it person picking up the child is responsible for transportation. So, dad would pick up at the start of his period and mom picks up at the end. Was the police called when mom was there?

BGregg

yes---however, she just told him that he was acting "stupid" , got her son back and walked back to her car.
I assume the police arrive later and father had his live in girl friend as a witness to the "trespass"

TinkerBelleLuvr

I'm sure the police officer was not informed as to WHY mom was there and that no mention of a pickup of a child took place. Therefore, mom needs to go to court WITH the court papers and any other witness that is available to state that mom does the pickups.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Then mom needs to have the police come with her if he decides that mom is to pickup. THAT may cool his heals. Has mom gone to the department that issued the ticket and explained the situation and what they would recommend?

BGregg

Not that I am aware of ---she does not have much of an assertive attitude .
I will suggest that and see if something can be done.
thanks for your help ---must get back to work now

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">