• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother contributed to household expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

candg918

What is the name of your state? OK

During the year that my mother lived with my sister and the 2 years that she lived with me, she contributed to the household expenses. During this time, she paid only for her medical expenses. Whomever she was living with paid for everything else, including sitters to stay with Mom. During most of the time she lived with me, she required full time assistance because she has cancer and dementia. This arrangement was agreed to by all of the children.

The amount that she contributed was less than half of her current expenses of nursing home care.

Should we have had a formal agreement in writing indicating that she wanted to pay the person with whom she was living? If so, what can be done now since she is not competent?

Since I have POA and health care POA, should I get a guardianship as well?

Thanks.

BlondiePB

candg918 said:
What is the name of your state? OK

During the year that my mother lived with my sister and the 2 years that she lived with me, she contributed to the household expenses. During this time, she paid only for her medical expenses. Whomever she was living with paid for everything else, including sitters to stay with Mom. During most of the time she lived with me, she required full time assistance because she has cancer and dementia. This arrangement was agreed to by all of the children.

The amount that she contributed was less than half of her current expenses of nursing home care.

Should we have had a formal agreement in writing indicating that she wanted to pay the person with whom she was living? If so, what can be done now since she is not competent?

Since I have POA and health care POA, should I get a guardianship as well?

Thanks.
You do not need a guardianship for mom. Mom cannot make any agreement with anyone regarding her affairs because she is not competent to do so.

Does not mom's trust have an article in it regarding providing for her care? Pay for mom's care with the trust. That's what is supposed to be used for. It is allowable to charge mom reasonable room and board, too, that is payable by the trust. These are separate bills.

candg918

I have paid all of her bills from her checking and money market accounts. Both are in the name of the trust with me as trustee. I agreed to less than she wanted to give me for her living with my family because I did not want to spend the principal in her trust - just her monthly income to cover medical care and living expenses.

It sounds like I am fine in this regard.

Thank you for your response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">