• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother is disabled with no income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kpence73

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My father passed away in September and with that his social security benefits stopped. The SS benefits were the only income my father and mother had. My mother had a massive heart attack after his death and was only given a 20% chance to survive, which she did. Now she is on food stamps and we are trying to get her SS diability benefits (she is under 63). The only income is what is being given to her by friends and family, which is only enough to pay rent, electric, etc. She has no property but a car which is still in my dad's name. We have been unable to pay her credit card bills. I am POA for her so I could deal with her accounts and I have contacted all of her creditors. Some allowed me to explain the situation and some told me they still needed to speak to her even if I had a POA (which it is a general durable so I know they don't really need to talk to her) and wouldn't speak to me concerning the situation. The best she is able to do is send a $10 good faith payment which I know really means nothing to them and the balance due is still considered xx# of days past due. There will be a life insurance policy from my dad's death and the lawyer that drew up his Will and other legal paperwork before his death said that no creditors could touch the insurance policy money at all and it was secure. Is that true? My goal was to try to settle the accounts at a percentage with some of the money. In total my mom ows probably a total of $25K across 9 creditors. Are there any other suggestions? She probably won't be able to find employment for a while because of the heart attack.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

kpence73

How is it a duplicate post

keep your questions all in one thread please
If this is a completely different question.

I do believe according to the instructions on posting that the title of the thread had to be specific to the question. I had 3 questions so I posted 3 threads each with a title specific to that question.

To bad people don't want to be helpful instead of being well I won't say.

Nativity

While your questions may be different they basically are all dealing with the same facts which makes it easier on those that will reply and easier on you to keep track of only one thread of your situation.

Be patient and you will get the help with your situation but maybe don't give attitude when someone makes a suggestion to you.

Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">