• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother not contributing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Milehigh

What is the name of your state? CA

My husband pays child support to his ex-wife for thier two children. She does not work and this is soley what she lives off of. We have the children 50% of the time. She is not contributing anything with regards to the kids. All things that she does buy is with the money provided by my husband. She does not work and doesn't seem to want to at all.

Is there anything we can do to change the custody arrangement as their father is the one paying for everything as she is not contributing anything.

I guess my concern is if things were the other way around and my husband wasn't working and wasn't even attempting to get work, but needed to provide for the kids he would have to get some form of employment, even if it wasn't in the original field he was in. Why is it o.k. for the mother's not to contribute anything to the raising of their children and just sit around and wait for the check at the beginning of every month.

Thanks,

B

betterthanher

Is the children being with you 50% of the time factored in (joint physical custody)? Do you just have 'standard visitation'? Also, what legitimate reason does she have that she is not working and not being held financially responsible for her part?

Milehigh

Yes the agreement is for joint physical custody. There is not legitimate reason she cannot work. She just given a million excuses. You name it she has said it. Both the kids are in school so there is no reason she cannot get at least a part-time job.

B

betterthanher

Milehigh said:
Yes the agreement is for joint physical custody. There is not legitimate reason she cannot work. She just given a million excuses. You name it she has said it. Both the kids are in school so there is no reason she cannot get at least a part-time job.
Has there been any attempt to have an income imputed onto her?

kat1963

Does your child support order state that each party is responsible for X percentage of the children’s care? If so, wait until the last one is 18 then file a civil suit against her. There is one fat cow in Carolina who will be getting served in 20 days with one. She lived off the 2k plus child support she was awarded (never worked, not disabled, no other children, no elderly parents, no other excuse just stupid & lazy).
KAT

B

betterthanher

kat1963 said:
Does your child support order state that each party is responsible for X percentage of the children’s care? If so, wait until the last one is 18 then file a civil suit against her. There is one fat cow in Carolina who will be getting served in 20 days with one. She lived off the 2k plus child support she was awarded (never worked, not disabled, no other children, no elderly parents, no other excuse just stupid & lazy).
KAT
Interesting...How would that work (your civil suit)? Isn't there any kind of time limit?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">