• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mother taking over trust for herself

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krissy3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State
Hello,

Hope I can make this short and accurate.
I have a step grandfather and his wife is my grandmother on my mothers side. My mother has no siblings. My grandfather died last month and I was told that there is a trust that he left for his 3 step grandchildren (for me , my sister and brother). My grandmother is still alive and is living with my mother and father. I have learned that there is no trust and all the money has been left to my grandma. That makes sense to me , and although its more than she will ever need in her lifetime, if that is what he wanted then OK. My mother has talked my grandmother into signing over all rights to her money, I believe that makes my mother the execuator . This is my question.
There could have been a trust for the grandchildren, in fact I believe there was, I know my mothers personality , of an extream narsisist, and I know she bullied my grandmother into signing over the money, and we are talking about a large sum of money, is there a way to view the origional trust or will that my grandfather wrote without my mother knowing. My sister and I believe she is lying about the will. Fortunatly my grandmother will be taken care of , but she thinks a pedicure once every 3 months is a luxury , and will be happy with a modest lifestyle , and my mother becomes a very rich woman. With a sister struggeling to pay her way through nursing school, and having to purchase used hearing aids for herself because she cant afford new ones...my mothers money hording has become very hurtful. Is there anything we can do ? Is there anything we can do to prepare for the future when my parents go. Are we entitled to read wills and trusts?

anteater

I am not trying to beat up on you, but you have an awful lot of vague statements in here that make it difficult to answer.

For example, "you were told" that there were trusts. Then you've "learned" that there aren't. But, you still believe that there are and you want to view the original trust. Huh?

Wills have no effect until someone applies to the probate court to open administration of the estate, submits the will to the court, and requests appointment as the personal representative of the estate. Once a probate case is opened, the case file is available for public viewing. Until then, you are not entitled to read the will unless the person in possession of the will allows you.

Therefore, your first stop is the probate court in the county in which step-GF resided to see if probate has been opened. If it has not, you probably have standing to apply to open probate. Then, you can request that the court compel the person holding the will to produce it. But, keep in mind that the only assets that are subject to probate are assets that were owned solely by step-GF. I could go on, but I hope that you are getting the idea.

My mother has talked my grandmother into signing over all rights to her money, I believe that makes my mother the execuator .
What do you mean by "signing over?" And, no, that does not make your mother the executor of anything.

...and I know she bullied my grandmother into signing over the money..
Whatever "signing over" means, you may know it, but can you prove it?

krissy3

yea sorry for the confusion . My parents are extreamly secretive....They never talk about money with us( the kids), we only know they must have money because they keep buying more houses and property, and "things". I was told by my mother that my grandmother was not interested in dealing with her bills and finances, so my mother said "dont worry I will take care of that for you"and now all of the accounts are in her name. I dont really understand how that can happen , thats why I am writing on this forum. My grandfather was also not willing to talk about his finances.All I know is that he horded his money for years and years , and he was a doctor , and according to my mother there was well over a million. I guess its a lost cause. If my mother and father wont be honest or share information with us , then I suppose there is very little we can do. I can not trust what is said by my parents , thats why I am interested in seeing something written down on paper.

anteater

If my mother and father wont be honest or share information with us , then I suppose there is very little we can do.
If you aren't willing to retain an attorney, then you are correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">