• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother's First Name Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skitz

What is the name of your state? California

My Mother left me a beachfront property in Yucatan, Mexico and I'm having problems because her first name as it appears on her birth certificate does not match exactly as it is on my birth certificate. My Mother was born in Mexico and on her Mexican birth certificate her first name is "Teresita Del Nino Jesus". After she married my American father she obtained a California driver's license but for the obvious reason of simplicity, she just put "Teresa" as her first name on the license. "Teresa" is her first name on my birth certificate and is also her first name on her death certificate and was always recognized as her first name by all governmental entities throughout her entire life.

To own beachfront property in Mexico you must be a Mexican citizen, so because my Mother was a Mexican citizen I am automatically approved for Mexican citizenship. The Mexican authorities are saying that they need to see her first name on my birth certificate and her death certificate match exactly with her first name on her birth certificate. If not, then how do they know that both are the same person, so they say. Both of her parents are exactly the same on her birth and death certificates (so that's one way of knowing). So they are waiting for me to amend my birth and her death certificates with the AKA "Teresita Del Nino Jesus". The CDPH has rejected my VS24 forms 4 times now. It takes 2-3 months for them to process. First they said I filled them out incorrectly, which I had. Then they said I needed a court order, then they said I didn't need a court order. Finally, they sent me a letter showing me exactly how I needed to fill out these forms for the purpose intended and not only did I follow their instructions verbatim, but I emailed them to CDPH for approval before actually sending them in. They said they look fine and to send them in. They were rejected again because they are insisting I obtain a court order to add an AKA of her first name on my birth certificate. I guess I now have to try to get a court order for this.

In my latest email exchange with the CDPH I told them that when my Mother applied for her drivers license in Ca with "Teresa" as her first name, she would have submitted her Mexican birth certificate with "Teresita Del Nino Jesus". Because the CA DMV did not make her get a court order for this then, it is inappropriate for the CDPH to make me get one now. I thought that was a valid point but apparently not. So, I suppose my question is: Is it even possible to get a court order now when she wasn't required to get one then? How do I go about obtaining a court order for adding an AKA to my Mother's first name after she is deceased?

FlyingRon

This is why you need an attorney. The government agencies are not required to give you legal advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, I suppose my question is: Is it even possible to get a court order now when she wasn't required to get one then? How do I go about obtaining a court order for adding an AKA to my Mother's first name after she is deceased?
As stated above, an attorney will likely be needed to help you straighten this out. I don't know if you need a family law attorney or an immigration attorney, but either one could help guide you to the correct type of attorney.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suspect that a lawyer located in Mexico is what is needed.
The Mexicans want to see OP's birth cert amended and the OP's mother's death certificate amended. Both of those are documents generated in the US. Getting the documents amended is not a Mexican issue.

LdiJ

The Mexicans want to see OP's birth cert amended and the OP's mother's death certificate amended. Both of those are documents generated in the US. Getting the documents amended is not a Mexican issue.
True, but I think that a consult with an attorney in Mexico would be in order as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">