• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother's rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Alabama

I am an unwed mother who has not established paternity with no one. But the assumed father is trying to take over. What exactly are my rights as of this point.


Senior Member
"What exactly are my rights as of this point."
*** Simply, you have no 'special' rights. Both biological parents have the exact same rights...... unless altered by a court order.


Under the Radar Member
He is permitted to petition the court for custody or visitation rights to the child. If you contest his paternity, the court will likely order a paternity (DNA) test. If it comes back positive, his motion will proceed. You don't get to pick and choose whether he'll be involved with the child.


Senior Member
"assumed father"?

so this guy may not be the father? have you contacted everyone who might be the father of your baby?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential