• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motion for contempt - does he ever pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BeachLuva

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hello,
Post divorce stuff: my attorney filed a motion against The Ex for 1) non-payment of attorney's fees spelled out that he owed me in our divorce decree and 2) non-payment of orthodontic fees for our elder daughter that is also spelled out in the decree.

My attorney went for me, twice now. The first time, it was decided to talk and meet again. The 2nd time (the 2nd hearing), they decided to do a "consent entry" and my attorney was to draw it up. All of a sudden The Ex sends a new motion, unrelated to my previous motion, and NOW my attorney says he'd like to wait and see what that one is for and do it all together in an entry.

Am I losing my head or shouldn't my attorney be focusing on the initial motion WE filed and get it over with? The Ex owes me about $5,000 plus THIS time's attorney's fees. HIS new motion was about reducing his child support (blah blah blah).

Am I just getting snowed over by a too-busy attorney or am I missing something?

Please advise if you can. Thank you kindly!

LdiJ

BeachLuva said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hello,
Post divorce stuff: my attorney filed a motion against The Ex for 1) non-payment of attorney's fees spelled out that he owed me in our divorce decree and 2) non-payment of orthodontic fees for our elder daughter that is also spelled out in the decree.

My attorney went for me, twice now. The first time, it was decided to talk and meet again. The 2nd time (the 2nd hearing), they decided to do a "consent entry" and my attorney was to draw it up. All of a sudden The Ex sends a new motion, unrelated to my previous motion, and NOW my attorney says he'd like to wait and see what that one is for and do it all together in an entry.

Am I losing my head or shouldn't my attorney be focusing on the initial motion WE filed and get it over with? The Ex owes me about $5,000 plus THIS time's attorney's fees. HIS new motion was about reducing his child support (blah blah blah).

Am I just getting snowed over by a too-busy attorney or am I missing something?

Please advise if you can. Thank you kindly!
1. Its more efficient to handle things together.

2. Handling contempt for non-payment of things ordered in the decree along with him asking for a reduction in child support will seriously mess up your ex's credibility with the judge.

3. Handling it all together may get your ex ordered to pay your legal fees for EVERYTHING...not just the contempt.

Your attorney is doing the right thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">