• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

motions to dismis collections lawsuit in Calif.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slobbydog

What is the name of your state?
CALIF.
Can I file a motion to dimiss if I was improperly served and if the creditor falls to send me a letter regarding the debt under the

this was filed as a limited civil case (under 10K).

I was never personally served and this is a second attorney firm the creditor has hired. I never recieved letter of their intention as required under Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. The first attorneys worked out a settlement deal for less than the original debt which I have paid in full. Now these new attorneys are suing me for the full amount as if there was never a settlement with the pervious attorneys representing the same creditor for the same debt!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state?
CALIF.
Can I file a motion to dimiss if I was improperly served and if the creditor falls to send me a letter regarding the debt under the

I was never personally served and this is a second attorney firm the creditor has hired. I never recieved letter of their intention as required under Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. The first attorneys worked out a settlement deal for less than the original debt which I have paid in full. Now these new attorneys are suing me for the full amount as if there was never a settlement with the pervious attorneys representing the same creditor for the same debt!
This one is easy - just show the new attorney your written settlement agreement from the prior attorney.

JETX

Can I file a motion to dimiss if I was improperly served
Yep.

and if the creditor falls to send me a letter regarding the debt under the
HUH??

I was never personally served
You don't have to be PERSONALLY served to have legally valid service.

and this is a second attorney firm the creditor has hired.
Not relevant.

I never recieved letter of their intention as required under Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
HUH?? There is no such 'letter'.... nor is there a requirement for 'it'.

The first attorneys worked out a settlement deal for less than the original debt which I have paid in full. Now these new attorneys are suing me for the full amount as if there was never a settlement with the pervious attorneys representing the same creditor for the same debt!
As noted by zigner..... this should be pretty simple. Send the attorney (and the court) a copy of your 'Paid in Full' letter and ask for a summary dismissal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">