• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motor blown

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Weber1980!

What is the name of your state?Missouri. I bought a 2007 Nissan Altima at a used at dealership. I had just sold my Jeep to buy this car due to better gas mileage. When I opened the hood I noticed oil all over the motor . I asked the lady dealer and she told me it only needs a valve cover. My friend and I just trust her . She seemed nice and test drove it and it ran smooth and no smells in the car of oil or anything . I paid her cash $2800 . I bought as is. On my way home in the Altima I smelled what seemed like melted crayon. I sent dealer a message she told me that prior owners kids had melted crayon in back and maybe she didn't get it cleaned up good. Five min later the car would barley go. I pushed peddle to floor and wouldn't go faster than30 mph. I pulled into gas station and called dealer. They had it towed back to them and said they would fix it. Two days later I got it back. She told me they cleaned a sylonoid . Over the next few days I noticed white smoke out the exuahst I messaged her and at that time said they replaced sylonoid .(She forgot her own lie)and I had to put literally two to three courts of oil every twenty miles. I replaced valve cover and it just got worse .She stopped returning my calls and would not message me back. Within a week and half the motor was blown. And I never let it run out of oil all completely I did all I could do. They are aware the motor blown up but they won't help me or refund or fix it at all. They just ignored me. I lost my job because I had no way to get to work. Now my electric has been shut off . I am broke and I don't know how to get back on my feet. I live twenty five minutes from the nearest store. Rural area no cabs. And now it's been about 6 months since all this happened. Any thing I can do ?

quincy

Missouri’s Lemon Law covers only new cars. Used cars are (generally) sold “as is” so it is important to have a trusted mechanic inspect the used vehicle prior to purchase.

You have not had the best year, have you?

Weber1980!

Missouri’s Lemon Law covers only new cars. Used cars are (generally) sold “as is” so it is important to have a trusted mechanic inspect the used vehicle prior to purchase.

You have not had the best year, have you?
No sir and I am at my bottom can't seem to climb out of it either . It just doesn't ever end. Don't know how much more I can take to be honest .

Weber1980!

No sir and I am at my bottom can't seem to climb out of it either . It just doesn't ever end. Don't know how much more I can take to be honest .
Dealership had inspection done and convienced me it wouldn't have passed if there were any major issues. Now I know that there are always some mechanics willing to pass bad cars for extra under the table cash.

quincy

When shopping for used cars, it is important to have your own inspection of the car and not trust that the dealership has done a thorough check.

You could continue to pester the dealership to make repairs to the vehicle but I am afraid that the costs are going to fall on you.

Weber1980!

When shopping for used cars, it is important to have your own inspection of the car and not trust that the dealership has done a thorough check.

You could continue to pester the dealership to make repairs to the vehicle but I am afraid that the costs are going to fall on you.
Are you positive of this ?

The unfortunate thing is that you said you changed the valve cover, I'm assuming you replaced the gasket, but you did it yourself.
The dealer can now claim that your repair caused the engine to fail.

quincy

The dealer probably doesn’t have to claim anything. Weber appears to have purchased a used car with problems ... and with little legal recourse.

A $2,800 car with the engine bay covered in oil, and trusting the word of a used car salesman who said that it only needed a gasket replaced.
A recipe for disaster I'm afraid.

quincy

A $2,800 car with the engine bay covered in oil, and trusting the word of a used car salesman who said that it only needed a gasket replaced.
A recipe for disaster I'm afraid.
Yes. The purchase was made with less care than it should have been made. A pre-purchase inspection by an independent mechanic is always advised.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">