• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorcycle accident/medical bill debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M397coupe

New Jersey

Hello, I am in need of some advice, I was in a traumatic motorcycle accident on July 13th,2018 causing me to have multiple fractures and emergency surgeries. I have health insurance through my employer but unfortunately they haven't covered much due to policy change since it was a recreational accident ( meritain health) my medical bills are almost up to 530,000 dollars and sad to say that's not the end of it, I still have some ways to go.. I am already receiving late notices for payments and I do not know what to do or where to start. I am obviously unable to pay off these medical bills and receiveing these bills are all very overwhelming I need some advice on what to do. Please if anyone has any recommendations I am all ears!!

Thankyou

FlyingRon

Yep, no PIP for motorcycles in NJ by law, some carriers offer medpay.
First off, I'd avail myself of any appeal rights you have with your health insurance. You may have hit limits, but frankly they shouldn't deny out of hand just because it is a recreational accident.

If that isn't fruitful, you may need to contact a bankruptcy attorney.

M397coupe

Yep, no PIP for motorcycles in NJ by law, some carriers offer medpay.
First off, I'd avail myself of any appeal rights you have with your health insurance. You may have hit limits, but frankly they shouldn't deny out of hand just because it is a recreational accident.

If that isn't fruitful, you may need to contact a bankruptcy attorney.
I was thinking that may be my best bet. Just wanted some opinions.

quincy

I have never heard of a medical care policy with a recreational exclusion.
Many policies have "source of injury" exclusions that will exclude coverage for certain recreational activities that are deemed hazardous (paragliding, etc).

PayrollHRGuy

Many policies have "source of injury" exclusions that will exclude coverage for certain recreational activities that are deemed hazardous (paragliding, etc).
I've seen life and disability policies with such but never a medical and especially not an ACA qualified employer plan.

quincy

I've seen life and disability policies with such but never a medical and especially not an ACA qualified employer plan.
If you do a search for "source of injury exclusions in health insurance policies" you should come up with several hits.

PayrollHRGuy

In this case contract. Pretty much any general practice lawyer should be able to decipher the policy. Heck, it may be clear to you.

quincy

What type of lawyer should i consult with on this matter?
A lawyer who specializes in health insurance law would be good.

As a note on bankruptcy: If you are still undergoing treatment for your injuries, you will probably want to wait until your treatment is completed to file for bankruptcy so all of your medical expenses can be included. Medical bills are a leading reason why people seek bankruptcy protection.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">