• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorcycle accident, pain and injury claim question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

safebiker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

I was in a car/motorcycle accident 5 months ago. I was on the motorcycle and the car driver admitted to and was found at fault (he ran a stop sign trying to cross the road I was traveling on). The accident broke my right clavicle, fully tore my right rotator cuff, and caused a concussion. The car driver's insurance adjuster contacted me the day of the accident and said that they would be paying for my property damage, my medical expenses and that they would pay me for pain and suffering. They settled with me on the property damage already.

I had surgery to repair the rotator cuff and the physical therapy is extremely painful and taking a long time. I am a very active person and my physical activities have been dramatically curtailed by this injury. My surgeon and physical therapist expect me to heal completely and be back to normal by August or so. I have not missed much work because I work from home with a computer and phone (nothing strenuous)

Since the adjuster was so forthcoming and started the claims process without any prompting by me, I have not felt any need to get a lawyer. If I get a reasonable offer for a settlement, I will take it. If I don't, I'll hire a lawyer. That said, here's the big question:

What's a reasonable settlement for my injuries and pain?

I was told $17,000 for the broken clavicle by a couple of different people, and that sound OK to me. The rotator cuff, however, has caused me completely different and enormous levels of pain. Every trip the physical therapist (twice a week for 8 weeks, so far, 16 more to go) is pure torture (it hurts more than the accident...). The exercises I have to do at home (40 minutes per day, every day for 18 weeks) are also very painful. I would not willingly go through this for half a million dollars. I know they are not going to offer anywhere near that, but what is typical?

Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">