• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorcycle crash - motor vehicle insurance VS health insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandstone82

Hi, I'm in California and I had motorcycle accident last week where I'm at fault. My question is if my health insurance can deny my claim if I am not covered by my Geico policy?

I did not hit anything, I just lost control and the bike and myself tumbled down the road.

So I had some bad road rash on my ankle and I went in about a week after the crash (yesterday).

They did an xray, bandaged me up, and sent me off with antibiotics because it was a little infected.

The doctor said to do a follow up with my primary care doctor. The Urgent Care and my primary care are within the UC (University of California) system. My wife is a nurse there and that's how we have our insurance through her.

So I called to set up a follow up with my primary care doc, and ended that phonecall. Afterwards, the scheduler called back and left a voicemail asking me to call him to provide my car insurance. He said it's a motor vehicle accident and that I will be billed for the visit and not my insurance if I don't get them the motor vehicle insurance.

I checked my Geico policy, and I have the minimum required by law. It states that "For Others" there is Bodily Injury Liability, but "For You" (i.e. me) there is just Uninsured Motorist & Underinsured Motorist coverage, which pays for if someone hits me and they don't have insurance.

So I want to tell my health care provider and my health insurance that I don't have motor vehicle coverage for my injuries, are they allowed to deny coverage? Am I going to get a full bill for my Urgent Care visit? I actually already paid the $20 copay when I went in, but I wouldn't be surprised if some admin person adjusted it or the insurance denies it later. I would have told them to not do the xray if I knew they were going to charge me fully, and I will just cancel my follow up appointment and not go if they're going to charge me full, which doesn't seem fair to me, but if it's their right by law they'll definitely make me pay, it's an insurance company so they will.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

So I want to tell my health care provider and my health insurance that I don't have motor vehicle coverage for my injuries, are they allowed to deny coverage?
You are really going to have to READ your medical insurance plan contract (booklet, policy, whatever) for the answer to that question.

Also check your motorcycle policy and see if you have Medical Payments coverage. If you do, then you DO have vehicle coverage for your injuries and you can send your bills in for reimbursement up to the Medical Payments limit. If you DON'T then you don't, and that's what you tell the medical insurance company.

Whether or not your medical insurance covers your bills depends on the terms and conditions of the policy.

sandstone82

You are really going to have to READ your medical insurance plan contract (booklet, policy, whatever) for the answer to that question.

Also check your motorcycle policy and see if you have Medical Payments coverage. If you do, then you DO have vehicle coverage for your injuries and you can send your bills in for reimbursement up to the Medical Payments limit. If you DON'T then you don't, and that's what you tell the medical insurance company.

Whether or not your medical insurance covers your bills depends on the terms and conditions of the policy.
Right, those are the same thoughts I had, but I don't have my policy to read. I will be able to contact them on Monday. As I said, I do not have coverage on my auto policy, that is available online to read.
I was hoping to hear advice on what is typical, and or if there are requirements of a health insurance provider.

adjusterjack

I was hoping to hear advice on what is typical, and or if there are requirements of a health insurance provider.
That's the problem. Every insurance company has similarities and differences, so saying what is typical or what is required isn't going to help you because what is written in your policy is the only thing that counts, nothing else.

As you can see from the website, there are a variety of plans available to UC employees, listed on the left of the page.

Which one are you on?

https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/health-plans/medical/index.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">