• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorcycle Insurance Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jtereau

What is the name of your state? i live in michigan. i heard that the law prohibits insurance providers from using any tickets/at-fault claims beyond 3 years. is this true? does it hold true for motorcycle insurance and auto insurance?

tammy8

Most states allow insurance companies to "charge" a surcharge for tickets and accidents for 3 yrs HOWEVER most insurance companies underwrite from 5-7 yrs. This means it is up to the company to provide you with coverage if you have incidents (not at fault accidents, non surchargable tickets, any other accidents and tickets included) within the last XX yrs.

On another note, in my state, it is next to impossible to get physical damage coverage on most motorcycles, especially the "crotch rocket" bikes. The rate of theif and the potential speed of the bikes are the reasons.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">