• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorcycle struck by police on purpose

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theoman

I was in a high speed police chase across county lines in Georgia exceeding 160mph in some areas. I have already had my sentencing for my criminal actions, but I wanted to know if I could receive any compensation for my injuries. The accident itself happened as I had just turned around and was traveling in the wrong direction. An officer was headed towards me but we were not going to collide. As I passed by him, he cut his steering wheel to the left and made his car strike my left foot at 90mph. The officer said I was paying chicken with him (no) and that I hit him head on (no). The car hit directly at my foot and I have the bike parts to prove it was not in the front and the police camera will prove it as well. I was in the hospital for a week and had 3 surguries while there. I had an external fixation device on my foot for around 3 months. my insurance covered my inuries and payed for the damage to the officers car already. My foot will never be back the same and it gives me plenty of trouble as i work on my feet. Are police officers allowed to hit people off off motorcycles? Do I have a case? Thanks.

Isis1

I was in a high speed police chase across county lines in Georgia exceeding 160mph in some areas. I have already had my sentencing for my criminal actions, but I wanted to know if I could receive any compensation for my injuries. The accident itself happened as I had just turned around and was traveling in the wrong direction. An officer was headed towards me but we were not going to collide. As I passed by him, he cut his steering wheel to the left and made his car strike my left foot at 90mph. The officer said I was paying chicken with him (no) and that I hit him head on (no). The car hit directly at my foot and I have the bike parts to prove it was not in the front and the police camera will prove it as well. I was in the hospital for a week and had 3 surguries while there. I had an external fixation device on my foot for around 3 months. my insurance covered my inuries and payed for the damage to the officers car already. My foot will never be back the same and it gives me plenty of trouble as i work on my feet. Are police officers allowed to hit people off off motorcycles? Do I have a case? Thanks.
let's see...you evade arrest....cross county lines...but you want to sue because YOU were driving unsafely?

rodney king had MUCH better story then that.

ecmst12

You have GOT to be kidding. Please tell me you're kidding. I haven't laughed like that in a long time!

racer72

Do I have a case?
Not even close. Defendants are not eligible for compensation for any damages that occur during the commission of a crime. You should consider yourself lucky that your insurance covered the damage to the police car.

Indiana Filer

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! I love humor.

CdwJava

Sadly, had this happened in California, the agency would almost certainly be paying him out a HUGE sum of money. And, I suspect that even in Georgia he just might collect ... or, at least his insurance company might collect in order to pay for their losses.

Using a vehicle to strike another vehicle in a manner that is almost certain to cause great injury or death is often referred to as "lethal intervention" (like shooting someone). If the nature of the offense was such that lethal intervention was not called for, then the officer should never have done this. However, if the motorcycle driver's actions were such that he endangered the community as a result of his actions, and people's lives were at risk due to his demonstrated actions, then lethal intervention might be justified.

The only thing going for the police is that a jury probably wouldn't give this guy a penny ... unfortunately, if he were to sue, the agency would probably settle out of court as the cost of a trial might cost them a good deal more money than they want to spend. Maybe Georgia holds firm against idiots who sue ... if so, maybe we can import some of those lawyers and politicians to California where they cave at most every filing.

One example is the case in L.A. a few years back when an armed suspect shot and wounded an officer (eventually forcing him to retire) and as the suspect fled, the wounded officer returned fire and shot him int he back paralyzing him ... the city settled for nearly one million dollars as a result ... the officer's ire was clear when he pointed out that he got 80% of his salary and could not work any more, but the suspect got nearly a mil ... "Where's the justice?"

- Carl

20pilot

Using a vehicle to strike another vehicle in a manner that is almost certain to cause great injury or death is often referred to as "lethal intervention" (like shooting someone).....However, if the motorcycle driver's actions were such that he endangered the community as a result of his actions, and people's lives were at risk due to his demonstrated actions, then lethal intervention might be justified.
I think the OP's statement: "The accident itself happened as I had just turned around and was traveling in the wrong direction." will meet the lethal intervention standard. He has driven up to 160MPH and is driving the wrong way on a road. How much chance will he or an oncoming motorist have at 200mph closure speed of avoiding a collision? Will the occupants of the other vehicle survive that crash?

Where do I send the office a medal for having the guts to do the right thing?

CdwJava

I think the OP's statement: "The accident itself happened as I had just turned around and was traveling in the wrong direction." will meet the lethal intervention standard. He has driven up to 160MPH and is driving the wrong way on a road. How much chance will he or an oncoming motorist have at 200mph closure speed of avoiding a collision? Will the occupants of the other vehicle survive that crash?

Where do I send the office a medal for having the guts to do the right thing?
Send the medal to the city's administrator if they have the stones to dig in their heels and say "no" to any claim the OP makes.

I agree that an argument can be made for lethal intervention, but they better hope that these high speeds were on residential streets or in highly populated/traveled areas and that they can make a case that people were in danger by the SUSPECT's actions.

If it was an "accident", then it was not lethal intervention, and the OP is likely out of luck ... if the act was intentional, then it was NOT an "accident" (aka "collision" which is generally defined as an "unintentional act") and liability may very likely lie with the agency.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">