• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorcycle vs car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My husband was in an accident two weeks ago and it seems that the other driver's insurance is denying the claim.

My husband was on his motorcycle and a young woman pulled out in front of him, he ended up laying down his bike to avoid hitting her. Police were called, report was filed, accident report states that it was the other driver failed to yield to right away and inattention.

The damage to the motorcycle was just over 2,000 dollars. Should I contact the insurance company?

PayrollHRGuy

Your husband should contact his carrier if he has full coverage. They will look at the claim and go after the inattentive driver.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My husband was in an accident two weeks ago and it seems that the other driver's insurance is denying the claim.

My husband was on his motorcycle and a young woman pulled out in front of him, he ended up laying down his bike to avoid hitting her. Police were called, report was filed, accident report states that it was the other driver failed to yield to right away and inattention.

The damage to the motorcycle was just over 2,000 dollars. Should I contact the insurance company?
Your husband is the injured party (since you say it was his motorcycle) and thus either he or his attorney should handle this. How do you know the other insurer won't pay if your husband or his lawyer has not yet spoken to the carrier? In any event, understand that the other driver's insurer has no duty to your husband. Its duties run to its customer, the owner of the car that was driven in this incident. While your husband may contact the insurance company to see if it will pay just based on his claim, he may have to sue the other driver in small claims court (assuming that he has no injuries that would make the claim higher than what is allowed in small claims court). If the other driver loses in court, the insurer will pay the judgment up to the policy limits.

Your husband is the injured party (since you say it was his motorcycle) and thus either he or his attorney should handle this. How do you know the other insurer won't pay if your husband or his lawyer has not yet spoken to the carrier? In any event, understand that the other driver's insurer has no duty to your husband. Its duties run to its customer, the owner of the car that was driven in this incident. While your husband may contact the insurance company to see if it will pay just based on his claim, he may have to sue the other driver in small claims court (assuming that he has no injuries that would make the claim higher than what is allowed in small claims court). If the other driver loses in court, the insurer will pay the judgment up to the policy limits.
I know what the other driver's insurance said because the motorcycle repair shop submitted the estimate to them and they denied it due to there was no contact with the insured vehicle. So next step is to call our insurance and let them deal? Then if they don't pay do the small claims thing. Ugh, hopefully our insurance can deal with it. I'd just rather our insurance not go up, you know?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">