• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

move during dui case in ny?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
what happens if I move to a new city during my court case? I was about to move and then I got a felony dui. I met with a lawyer and got a deal for 1 year interim probation sentence before my actual sentence. I have an upcome court date over the court to make the plea for that. I want to move before I have to the court date and then just come back and go to court but I want to be able to have my probation moved to where im living.

if I leave and move to a new town can I notify the court from there and tell them my new address can I have my probation moved over there?

quincy

what happens if I move to a new city during my court case? I was about to move and then I got a felony dui. I met with a lawyer and got a deal for 1 year interim probation sentence before my actual sentence. I have an upcome court date over the court to make the plea for that. I want to move before I have to the court date and then just come back and go to court but I want to be able to have my probation moved to where im living.

if I leave and move to a new town can I notify the court from there and tell them my new address can I have my probation moved over there?
You will need to make arrangements BEFORE you move - or be in violation of your probation.

Then ... I guess you need to stay in your town until your sentencing.

Have you spoken to your probation officer?
no I dont know who to call or anything to do. I cant stay in my town because ill be screwed here I have no way to get around and there's nothing near me. I thought if I changed my address and got a job I could just get my probation moved there

xylene

no I dont know who to call or anything to do. I cant stay in my town because ill be screwed here I have no way to get around and there's nothing near me. I thought if I changed my address and got a job I could just get my probation moved there
Do that after your sentencing. You need to get a bike. Riding weather will be fine for months. You can ride a bike in the winter with good gear even. Putting up with the hassle will be worth compared to not getting a good plea deal.

what if I move to a city near me and still take a bus back to home town and report for probation when I have to?

Last edited:

quincy

You don't know how to contact your probation officer?

If you need to speak to your attorney, you can call and make an appointment with him to meet in person to discuss transferring your probation to a new city.

If you have a place lined up to stay in the new city and a solid job offer, that might make a difference in how a potential move is viewed.

But you should not change your address without authorization.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Do that after your sentencing. You need to get a bike. Riding weather will be fine for months. You can ride a bike in the winter with good gear even. Putting up with the hassle will be worth compared to not getting a good plea deal.
But... OP wants to get away from the wormhole with alternative weather that his hamlet is. Or village.

Because apparently it's like Rochester and Buffalo in January year round.

Even though Rochester is no colder than where I'm sitting right now, and my window is open.

I would only suggest that OP follow up with the lawyer directly (not staff) and the PO. OP should certainly not move until s/he gets the okay to move, and all the paperwork approving of such a move!

But... OP wants to get away from the wormhole with alternative weather that his hamlet is. Or village.

Because apparently it's like Rochester and Buffalo in January year round.

Even though Rochester is no colder than where I'm sitting right now, and my window is open.

I would only suggest that OP follow up with the lawyer directly (not staff) and the PO. OP should certainly not move until s/he gets the okay to move, and all the paperwork approving of such a move!
can I just tell my lawyer over the phone I need to move and keep bugging him about it and ask the court im with too and ask them about updating my address. im getting like no help from my lawyer and apparently he's too busy with a trial to even meet up or do anything. do I just keep harassing them to let me move? I mean im paying him and i've gotten like nothing except a plea deal and haven't met up with him once since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">