• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Move out fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chicago, IL

Our landlord wants to charge us $250 to move out and now that I looked through my lease, I don't see anywhere that discloses the fees to move out. I only see this:
From (HIDDEN) Association Rules & Regulations: 3.1. "Lessee agrees to abide by the Association's Declaration, By-Laws and Rules and Regulations of the (HIDDEN) Condominium Association; a copy of which is attached to this lease and hereby acknowledged." and, 3.2. "This lease is subject to the approval of the (HIDDEN) Condominium board of directors."

The landlord did attach most of these rules and regulations on the lease, but he 100% did not include the paper about moving fees. I talked to the building management and they sent me an attachment that discloses the fees to moving out. This page was not included in the lease agreement that we signed for.

The landlord told me he will have to get a lawyer involved for any disputes, which for some reason I feel like is a bluff. Do you think he is in the clear with this, or can I get away with not paying the move out fee?

Building management told me that that page should of been included in the packet. Point is, that page is part of the Rules & Regulations, or included within.

You acknowledged receiving it.
Receiving what? We received only a portion of the rules and regulations when we signed the lease. The paper regarding the fees was not included in the packet that we signed. I've never seen this paper before.. there could of been more fees that I would of never known about.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Receiving what?

"Lessee agrees to abide by the Association's Declaration, By-Laws and Rules and Regulations of the (HIDDEN) Condominium Association; a copy of which is attached to this lease and hereby acknowledged."
When you signed the lease, you acknowledged that you received the "Declaration, By-Laws and Rules and Regulations". LL will argue that you DID receive notice of the fees, and he'll have your signature that says so.

Damn.
When you signed the lease, you acknowledged that you received the "Declaration, By-Laws and Rules and Regulations". LL will argue that you DID receive notice of the fees, and he'll have your signature that says so.
It was done over email, where I signed over pdf. I have proof of his email where he did not attach the document regarding these fees. Would that change anything that I have proof of the email?

FarmerJ

SO when you printed out your copy by chance did it list the number of pages or any sort of hint that the number of pages didn't match what the lease said ?

SO when you printed out your copy by chance did it list the number of pages or any sort of hint that the number of pages didn't match what the lease said ?
I didn’t print out anything. He attached the packet to an email and I signed the lease via pdf reader.

YOU NEED TO PRINT IT OUT. You will need a hard copy for evidence as well as the pdf.
Will do. I will print out the whole email too. I just checked, and the lease agreement had 19 pages in total which was all accounted for BUT it did not have anything relating to the move out fee page. Next, the rules and regulations where attached to the pdf as well which had NO page numbers, so really, I would of never known if something was even missing or not. I couldn't of asked if something was missing because there were no page numbers listed on the papers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">