• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moved from MA to CA - where do I sue??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I am currently in California.

I hired movers that are based in Florida to move me from Massachusetts to Los Angeles. I had a contract that stated that I would pay $1303 for 340 cubic ft. I would pay $4.75 per cubic ft. for any additional space needed. My contract also said I had all labor included.

On the day of the move my movers breached their contract and refused to move stuff from my second floor if I didn't give them more money. I wound up moving everything myself and didn't get to supervise the move.

What is worse is when I looked in the moving van my stuff was just thrown in willy nilly and was therefore taking up 860 cubic ft. The movers refused to repack the truck and told me I had to take up the problem with the head office since they were just contractors.

I have written the company two letters and sent them pictures of the storage facility as well as two eye witness accounts stating that the stuff only takes up 375 cubic ft so therefore could NEVER have been the 860 I was charged for.

I have been blown off. The mediation service I am using is getting no where and I want to take them to court, BUT I am trying to find out if I can.

I can't seem to get a straight answer on what venue I am allowed to sue in.

The movers are an Inc. and I have finally found the blanket company they work under "truck process agents of america", so I have an agent in any state they do business to serve the legal documents to. Now it is just a matter of finding out IF I can sue them in California, or if I have to fly back to Massachusetts or Florida.

Please help. I have reached the end of my research ability!


Senior Member
These interstate movers are a very common scam and, since the demise of the Interstate Commerce Commission, are virtually unregulated.

And that will be your problem... from your post, it appears that the contract was entered in MA, which would normally require your legal action there. And if you were going to take action in Small Claims, it might be worth it. However, with the added cost of your returning to MA for the suit, that action will probably be cost prohibitive. And regretably, your only other jurisdiction would be the Federal courts.... and again, the costs of action would far exceed the value of the suit.

Your best bet at this point might be to contact the media (TV and papers) in each of the involved cities and try to get some local consumer investigator's interest.

For more information on the scams, click on:


Darnit! I was afraid of that. Is there anyway I can get the suit taken care of in California? Can I spin it a certain way? I am talking $3800 that I really don't want to give up. My main problem with MA is that small claims is so small $2K that's it - like you said not worth the cost after travel *sigh*

Could this be considered a breach of a sales contract? I mean they didn't do what they promised in the contract.

If so, then could I squeak by with the venue being here because this is where the "goods or vehicle (the stuff they moved which is now evidence in a storage facility of the space that was REALLY taken up in the van) are permanently kept"? I know it's a long shot since everything seems to point to taking them to court in MA, but would it be doable?

Thanks for any advice - I really appreciate it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential