• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moved out of marital home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dazzedone

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I moved out of the marital home for about a week and a half. My wife blind sided me and asked for a divorce. I was a stay at home parent and didn't have the funds to keep the home. She insisted that I be the one to leave. I left for a week and a half and took our 3 kids with me to Florida to my parents house. After I had a consultation with a lawyer, he explained because the kids lived in North Carolina for the past 6 months, I couldn't do anything from Florida. North Carolina had jurisdiction to determine custody. My wife wouldn't let me keep the kids in Florida. After talking to her on the phone and explaining my situation, she agreed to let me move back into the home. I came back and arrived that morning and she let me into the home. I stayed home with the kids all day while she was at work. After they were in bed, we had an argument. She called the cops and told them I moved out and forced my way back into the home. I told the cops my story and was told I could stay. Now she has filed for divorce from bed and board and stated I forced my way back into the home, which was not true. Now I'm worried that because I moved out for that week and a half, I will be less entitled to our marital home we have shared for the past 2 years. I have no one else in the local area to stay with if I am forced to leave. This will result in not seeing my kids as I will have to return to Florida. My wife has friends she can live with in the area if she was forced to move out. We don't have enough money to afford two places to live and I feel like I screwed myself by leaving. I was only gone for a week and a half and she did agree on the phone to allow me to come back. Whats my outcome looking like? any advice would help.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I moved out of the marital home for about a week and a half. My wife blind sided me and asked for a divorce. I was a stay at home parent and didn't have the funds to keep the home. She insisted that I be the one to leave. I left for a week and a half and took our 3 kids with me to Florida to my parents house. After I had a consultation with a lawyer, he explained because the kids lived in North Carolina for the past 6 months, I couldn't do anything from Florida. North Carolina had jurisdiction to determine custody. My wife wouldn't let me keep the kids in Florida. After talking to her on the phone and explaining my situation, she agreed to let me move back into the home. I came back and arrived that morning and she let me into the home. I stayed home with the kids all day while she was at work. After they were in bed, we had an argument. She called the cops and told them I moved out and forced my way back into the home. I told the cops my story and was told I could stay. Now she has filed for divorce from bed and board and stated I forced my way back into the home, which was not true. Now I'm worried that because I moved out for that week and a half, I will be less entitled to our marital home we have shared for the past 2 years. I have no one else in the local area to stay with if I am forced to leave. This will result in not seeing my kids as I will have to return to Florida. My wife has friends she can live with in the area if she was forced to move out. We don't have enough money to afford two places to live and I feel like I screwed myself by leaving. I was only gone for a week and a half and she did agree on the phone to allow me to come back. Whats my outcome looking like? any advice would help.
You need to get a job and a place to live as soon as you can. Realistically you are not going to be able to stay in the marital home for the long haul because you cannot afford it.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
At the end of the day, one or the other (or both) of you will be moving. Being a SAHP gives you an edge wrt custody, but that doesn't mean you'll be able to move the kids out of state. The reality is that you will need to find a job and a place to live.

Dazzedone

I have a job interview lined up for Friday. Hopefully I get the job and can start saving money. Right now she changed her bank account and put me on an allowance. We have court Wednesday for temporary child custody and Friday will be temporary child support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">