• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

moved out, roomates still expect rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

one_in_one_out

What is the name of your state? MO

I signed a year lease to live in a situation that later became unlivable. I informed my roomates of my intention to move out. I presented them with several options of roomates, none of whom were acceptable or who, through their dragging their feet, were lost to us. I also told them that they could go ahead and do the lease without me (which would make the rent still affordable). They didn't ask me for the next month's rent nor tell me that they expected all the coming months' rents until after I'd moved out. Citing a "leally binding contract" they now tell me that I am still responsible for the rent. I really want to know what my legal obligation actually is, and what charges could be brought against me personally that couldn't be brought against them. Just to clarify, these were not individual leases.

Some Random Guy

Since you are all together in this lease, you are all responsible for it. I expect that they will pay the landlord the rent in full and then sue you in small claims for the amount that you owe.

Expect to lose your case since you do owe them the money.

HomeGuru

one_in_one_out said:
What is the name of your state? MO

I signed a year lease to live in a situation that later became unlivable. I informed my roomates of my intention to move out. I presented them with several options of roomates, none of whom were acceptable or who, through their dragging their feet, were lost to us. I also told them that they could go ahead and do the lease without me (which would make the rent still affordable). They didn't ask me for the next month's rent nor tell me that they expected all the coming months' rents until after I'd moved out. Citing a "leally binding contract" they now tell me that I am still responsible for the rent. I really want to know what my legal obligation actually is, and what charges could be brought against me personally that couldn't be brought against them. Just to clarify, these were not individual leases.

**A: read your lease. Nothing changes with respect to YOUR liability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">