• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moved out three weeks early, roommate not on lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joe Gahona

What is the name of your state? New York City

I took over a lease (assignment) eight months ago. I was supposed to move out one month ago, but my new apartment wouldn't let me move in for four days. My old landlord refused to let me stay the four extra days and told me he'd charge me for the whole month (July) if I stayed past June 30. I then paid him the whole month's rent, because my roommate desperately needed that extra month and I worked out a deal with her. I have been moved out of the apartment since July 10 and she is scheduled with movers to move out July 31.

About two hours ago my landlord gave me a 45 minute notice -- a message on my voicemail that I didn't receive until 10 minues ago -- that he is showing the place. I have a my cleaner there right now, so obviously he will have been there when the landlord arrives.

I don't care that landlord is there or that he gave such a short notice, but I'm wondering if he's going to give me any grief that (a) I moved out or (b) that the cleaner is there (he doesn't have keys). I've had no problems with my landlord other than the time he blew up at me for asking for four additional days.

When I began the lease assignment I told him that I'd be taking a roommate; he told me the roommate would not go on the lease and he encouraged me to rent to a student and accept only cash (along with a few other tips), so I don't think he'll go the route of "unlawful stay," but who knows. I looked up the laws and in New York City (but not State, oddly) it's legal to have roommates who are not on the lease, but I don't know what the situation is now since I've left. There are 12 days left on this month-to-month.

ENASNI

Ack

So Joe.. you are asking us to read your landlords mind? Someone is acting like a cat on a hot tin roof here.. Too much Coffee this morning?

Joe Gahona

Nah, I'm hoping someone familiar w/NYC law can tell me what the landlord can do in this situation, in a worst-case-scenario-type deal -- since roommates don't have to be on the lease, yet I've moved out early. Sorry 'bout the longwinded post, just spilling out as many facts as possible. (Also forgot to mention that my lease says nothing about charges for extended guest stays.)

And I've had my usual eight cups -- is that too much? :cool:

ENASNI

Joe Gahona said:
And I've had my usual eight cups -- is that too much? :cool:
Only eight?? wimp. I am not really sure what the question is. Are you worried that he is going to be mad that you are not there and the roommate is? That the cleaners are there? If the rent is paid and there are no elephants there and everyone is out in time and the place is pristine, I do not see a problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">