• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Movie website

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convoy71

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I run a website for a 1978 movie using a virtual name www.movie_title.com. There has been controversy proving who owns and releases the movie though bottem line it may turn out to be either MGM, Warner Bros or another.

I do not sell any items on the site and fully acknowledge who may own the movie. But would those companies I have listed have a right to shut down the site? If so, how and reasons.

Last edited:

divgradcurl

But would those companies I have listed have a right to shut down the site?
If the companies in question hold a trademark on the title, then they could certainly seek to shut your site down and\or sieze your domain name. As far as the domain name siezure, they could pursue such a remedy under the Uniform domain name dispute resolution process through ICANN, or they could try and shut you down through the courts under trademark law. Since you are actually using the site, they may not be able to pursue a cybersquatting cause of action, but they could certain pursue trademark infringement.

Now, whether they actually would or not is another question. But certainly they could if they wanted to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">