• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving and Renting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brian2944

What is the name of your state? GA

My fiance and I have lived together for 3 years. We have always rented an apartment. Because of foolish spending of credit cards and loans we had to file. She filed Chapter 13 last year and I just filed Chapter 7. Both of our cars were in her name so we were able to keep our cars.

We are now looking to move to Florida to get away from Atlanta for a better life. Will we be able to move out of state while under the bankruptcy since we do not own a home??

Also, I have read about it being almost impossible to get approved for an apartment after filing. Is there any way around this? Possibly being asked to pay a higher rate or larger deposit?

We will both have employment set-up, but very concerned about where we will live! :(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks and God bless
Brian

bigun

Run all of this by your lawyer-particularly the Chapter 13 filer. If the income increases by more than 10% the trustee may modify the plan to call for a higher payback for unsecured creditors.
As to the Chapter 7. You have to be present for the 341 meeting. Just be sure you let the trustee know your new address.
As to renting. It just depends. Large apt.complexes may pull reports more often than smaller ones. Your best bet may be a private rental. And yes, you may have to put down a higher deposit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">