• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving company complaints

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cacoyle

We recently moved from Illinois to Wisconsin. During the unloading of the truck, 2 of the movers removed most of their clothing except for their boxers/shorts and shoes. This was done in front of our 9 year old son. Needless to say we were all extremely upset as no one asked our permission and it was done in the presence of our son who is still extremely agitated that people he did not know basically got more than half naked in his home & in his presence. Any suggestions as to how we should handle this situation? We did try to speak with the moving company but they will not return calls or emails. Thank you

quincy

We recently moved from Illinois to Wisconsin. During the unloading of the truck, 2 of the movers removed most of their clothing except for their boxers/shorts and shoes. This was done in front of our 9 year old son. Needless to say we were all extremely upset as no one asked our permission and it was done in the presence of our son who is still extremely agitated that people he did not know basically got more than half naked in his home & in his presence. Any suggestions as to how we should handle this situation? We did try to speak with the moving company but they will not return calls or emails. Thank you
A hot day, was it?

Contacting the company is the proper course of action. You should draft a formal letter saying that the removal of clothing made you uncomfortable.

As long as the movers did not strip naked, there is little else to do but complain to the company.

This does not appear to have anything to do with online purchases or sales.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I doubt there would be any problem with kiddo going to the local public pool on a hot day.

quincy

I doubt there would be any problem with kiddo going to the local public pool on a hot day.
In school, and in the gym locker rooms, there will be many undressing and showering in front of the son - and the son will be undressing and showering in front of them.

That said, it was not very professional of the movers to remove their clothing.

Zigner

In school, and in the gym locker rooms, there will be many undressing and showering in front of the son - and the son will be undressing and showering in front of them.

That said, it was not very professional of the movers to remove their clothing.
They took their shirts off.

Zigner

I see no legal action to pursue ... but boxers are not swim trunks.
Right - like sneakers aren't tennis shoes ;)

(I know and agree with what you are saying. They are NOT the same. My point is that, while not the "same", each provides the same level of undress.)

quincy

Right - like sneakers aren't tennis shoes ;)

(I know and agree with what you are saying. They are NOT the same. My point is that, while not the "same", each provides the same level of undress.)
That I agree with. :)

As an aside: When we were having work done on our house, the drywaller asked my wife (who was alone in the house with our youngest children at the time) if he could take a shower in our bathroom.

Some workers are less professional than others and probably deserve to be reported to their employers.

xylene

I would reasonably expect paid professional staff to keep their uniforms or work attire on at all times while on the job site.

This is a 1000% reasonable expectation, whether a child was in the area or not.

These are professional residential movers, not lifeguards so bathing suits and decency standards of public pool changing rooms are utterly irrelevant. Nor are they steveadores unloading a cargo hold in some film noir thriller, so if it is hot they can slow down and sip some water while keeping their clothes on.

Is the OP owed anything, in a legal claim, I doubt it. But it certainly doens't hurt to ask and and more than justifies negative feedback on the myriad rating services for companies in this modern world.

quincy

I would reasonably expect paid professional staff to keep their uniforms or work attire on at all times while on the job site.

This is a 1000% reasonable expectation, whether a child was in the area or not.

These are professional residential movers, not lifeguards so bathing suits and decency standards of public pool changing rooms are utterly irrelevant. Nor are they steveadores unloading a cargo hold in some film noir thriller, so if it is hot they can slow down and sip some water while keeping their clothes on.

Is the OP owed anything, in a legal claim, I doubt it. But it certainly doens't hurt to ask and and more than justifies negative feedback on the myriad rating services for companies in this modern world.
I agree that when you hire workers (with only a few exceptions I can think of), you expect them to stay clothed. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">