• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving Company Lost our Stuff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rock7x7

We recently moved to Texas from Arizona and the moving company we hired lost some of our things. Now they are saying they aren't liable... is this true? How can they fail to deliver our things and then say it isn't their responsibility?
Help?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Look at your contract. But aside from this: how can they lose your stuff? Stuff just disappeared?

If they still refuse to give you your stuff, contact the better business bureau in your county and see if they can help you obtain a settlement.

Do you have solid proof of missing items like receipts, pictures?

R

rock7x7

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
As to how they could lose our stuff... that's a very good question. What happened is that they failed to take all of our stuff off the truck when they made their delivery. We noticed it within a few minutes of their 'hasty' departure, since one of the items missing was our hand truck, which we needed to bring boxes into the house from the garage where the movers left them. We tried to call the company but the delivery was made on a Sunday and none of the contact numbers we were given did any good on a weekend. We called the first thing Monday morning and the run-a-round began. Had they contacted the drivers right away we would have stood a good chance of getting our things back but they didn't. It has now been almost 4 months and we were told we had to 'prove' our things had been lost. How does one go about proving something is missing? We have witnessess that saw the items loaded onto the truck but we have no way of 'proving' they weren't removed from the truck on this end... but they weren't. There were several items left on the truck and now we are having to fight with this company. They claim we should have noted the missing items when the delivery was made. I don't know about you but many things I own are used rarely and so aren't missed until I need them. We were fortunate that one of the items was the hand truck or we could have gone a while before we even knew anything was gone. They also managed to damage some of our things in the move and they have offered to pay for some of this damage- but not all. And now they want us to prove we didn't get our things? I will never do business with this company again and I will report them to the BBB, but that won't do much to get my stuff back. Maybe it will help some other person avoid our situation though.
Roxie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">