• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

moving early and utilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kopes

What is the name of your state? MN

I am currently renting a house with a lease that expires on June 1, 2005. My house has already been rented to someone else, so I knew I would need to move. I found another house and put down a deposit on it. I can move into the new house March 1. I am fully prepared to pay rent on both places until my existing lease is up. My question is the utilities. My current lease states that the tenant pay all utilities, which I have been doing. Can I disconnect the utilties during the last three months of the lease? I'd rather not pay double rent and utilities.

HomeGuru

kopes said:
What is the name of your state? MN

I am currently renting a house with a lease that expires on June 1, 2005. My house has already been rented to someone else, so I knew I would need to move. I found another house and put down a deposit on it. I can move into the new house March 1. I am fully prepared to pay rent on both places until my existing lease is up. My question is the utilities. My current lease states that the tenant pay all utilities, which I have been doing. Can I disconnect the utilties during the last three months of the lease? I'd rather not pay double rent and utilities.
**A: generally, the day that the new replacement tenants move in is the day that you are no longer responsible for rent or utilities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">