• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving Expense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? New York

I was transferred by my company on 06/01/01. I terminated my employment on 12/28/01. This week I received a letter requesting that I reimburse the company for 50% of the amount I was paid for relocating. I did sign an agreement stating that I would be responsible for half of the moving expense if I terminated my employment within 1 year of the transfer.

My moving expenses were paid as income with tax and other deductions. My concern is that my former company is requesting that I reimburse them for half of the GROSS amount I was paid.

What are my options?



I'm not qualified to tell you what your options are, but if you do have to make a repayment then it is deductible.

If you repay $3,000 or less than you can deduct it on Sch A, line 22.

If you repay more than $3,000, then you can deduct it on Sch A, line 27.

You deduct it the year you actually repay it.


Senior Member
Well, the first question is whether you really have to repay the money. Why did you leave? Did they create a hostile work environment? What exactly does the contract say? Is it enforceable under NY law? Direct these questions to the employment law board.

The next question is whether you are going to repay the money. Will your company really sue you for the money? You could try just ignoring them until they go away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential