• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving in together and best lease agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Icemancometh

What is the name of your state? California

I am considering moving in with my girlfriend. I'm trying to decide the best option for the lease agreement. Option one is to put just myself on the lease and collect some money from her. Option 2 is to put her on the lease as well. I would like to know the following:

1) If I just put my name on, while collecting some money from her: a) could I kick her out if need be and if so, how? 2) could I leave and in the worst case scenario only pay the remainder of the lease (ie, if she holdsover, I am not responsible since the lease terminated and I am the only one on the lease)?

2) If both our names are on the lease and we both cut checks the landlord (or she to me and me to the landlord): 1) could I leave mid-lease and only be responsible for the full amount of the lease up until it expires (ie, she holdsover and I leave) 2) Once the lease expires, if she stays, can I get my name off at expiration.

MY BIGGEST CONCERN IS BEING ON THE HOOK BECAUSE SHE IS STILL IN THE PLACE IF THINGS DON'T WORK OUT BETWEEN US. I WANT TO KNOW THAT SOME AMOUNT OF MONEY CAN GET ME OUT OF THERE. I AM NOT AS CONCERNED ABOUT ME HAVING TO PAY HER PORTION FOR THE LEASE TERM. I AM MORE CONCERNED ABOUT ME HAVING TO PAY LONG AFTER THE LEASE TERM EXPIRES. IE, WHAT HAPPENS IF SHE JUST STAYS THERE FOREVER AND I AM ON THE LEASE.

longneck

here are some options, but they all require the agreement of your landlord:
1) two separate lease with defined penalties for early termination.
2) no written lease (month-to-month), in which case only 30 days notice is required to terminate.
3) your name on the lease, with the LL allowing a sublet where you give your GF a month-to-month lease.

1 and 2 are not likely.

south

Sounds like a solid relationship....

How about just her name on the lease then the world is your oyster...

Icemancometh said:
What is the name of your state? California

I am considering moving in with my girlfriend. I'm trying to decide the best option for the lease agreement. Option one is to put just myself on the lease and collect some money from her. Option 2 is to put her on the lease as well. I would like to know the following:

1) If I just put my name on, while collecting some money from her: a) could I kick her out if need be and if so, how? 2) could I leave and in the worst case scenario only pay the remainder of the lease (ie, if she holdsover, I am not responsible since the lease terminated and I am the only one on the lease)?

2) If both our names are on the lease and we both cut checks the landlord (or she to me and me to the landlord): 1) could I leave mid-lease and only be responsible for the full amount of the lease up until it expires (ie, she holdsover and I leave) 2) Once the lease expires, if she stays, can I get my name off at expiration.

MY BIGGEST CONCERN IS BEING ON THE HOOK BECAUSE SHE IS STILL IN THE PLACE IF THINGS DON'T WORK OUT BETWEEN US. I WANT TO KNOW THAT SOME AMOUNT OF MONEY CAN GET ME OUT OF THERE. I AM NOT AS CONCERNED ABOUT ME HAVING TO PAY HER PORTION FOR THE LEASE TERM. I AM MORE CONCERNED ABOUT ME HAVING TO PAY LONG AFTER THE LEASE TERM EXPIRES. IE, WHAT HAPPENS IF SHE JUST STAYS THERE FOREVER AND I AM ON THE LEASE.

The answers to a lot of your questions would be spelled out in the lease. Get a copy of that and read it over carefully. Some leases are more flexible than others.

If you're on here asking this IN ALL CAPS before you even move in together I'd seriously rethink things........

Karla in Amarillo

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">