• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving out at 16????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Runaway_astray

North Carolina

I’m 15 and turn 16 in 4/5 months (August). My mother and father have split and my mother does not want me to leave. I want to live with my father as he is financially stable and does not emotionally manipulate me like my mother does. My mother says that I cannot leave at 16 while my father says I can leave at 16 and she can’t stop me. I’d rather not file for emancipation as my father is who I’ll live with if I do move. Who is right? Or what will I have to do to get away from my mother?

Just Blue

North Carolina

I’m 15 and turn 16 in 4/5 months (August). My mother and father have split and my mother does not want me to leave. I want to live with my father as he is financially stable and does not emotionally manipulate me like my mother does. My mother says that I cannot leave at 16 while my father says I can leave at 16 and she can’t stop me. I’d rather not file for emancipation as my father is who I’ll live with if I do move. Who is right? Or what will I have to do to get away from my mother?
Your mother is correct and if your father wishes to have custody of you ask him to join here and we will answer his questions.

In no way, shape or form do you qualify to be emancipated. There are at least 300 threads on the subject here...feel free to look at some and educate yourself.

Runaway_astray

Your mother is correct and if your father wishes to have custody of you ask him to join here and we will answer his questions.

In no way, shape or form do you qualify to be emancipated. There are at least 300 threads on the subject here...feel free to look at some and educate yourself.
So with an emotionally manipulative and abusive, financially unstable mother, I don’t quite qualify?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
So with an emotionally manipulative and abusive, financially unstable mother, I don’t quite qualify?
No. You do not qualify for emancipation. Even if.

Your father can go to court and ask for custody. But if he is not assertive enough to do that, and Mom has custody, then that's that.

Runaway_astray

No. You do not qualify for emancipation. Even if.

Your father can go to court and ask for custody. But if he is not assertive enough to do that, and Mom has custody, then that's that.
He plans on it. My therapists even think it’s best if I live with just my father so he wants full custody of me. Thank you for you advice

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just for the record, the LAST thing a judge looks at is the reason you want to be emancipated. If you haven't proven to the satisfaction of the judge that you are able to financially support yourself, alone and unassisted (that means without a parent or another friend or relative providing any) while still going to school and keeping your grades up, the reason you wish to be emancipated will never even come up.

commentator

And judges in today's world very seldom easily give total custody to anyone. Especially to fathers who previously were paying child support and would not be paying child support if the other party was suddenly denied any custody whatsoever for the very iffy and impossible to document "emotional manipulation" of their sensitive 16 year old. Hate to question his motives, but it is very possible that your father just plain doesn't want to be giving money to your mother, and that's what this is all about. If he wants to push it far enough, he could hire an attorney and go back to court and try to get full custody of you. And as I've said, it's highly unlikely to happen unless there are some really serious changes in your circumstances, your mother's situation is really falling apart. That is the only way you would possibly get to live with him full time if your mother doesn't want you to. Emancipation is not a possibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">