• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving out bathtub and bathroom resurfacing charges query

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PanKa

I was staying in rental apartment in New Jersey for 2 years and recently moved out. I stayed in apartment for 2 years with my spouse and daughter. Today rental company sent me moving out statement which mentions bathroom and bathtub resurfacing charges of $400. Considering we are family of 3 and had two bathrooms to share and we stayed there for 2 years bathroom and bathtub had normal wear and tear (white color getting dull). There is no other damages to bathrooms or bathtub. Now I not sure if rental company should charge me for normal wear and tear or even if it can be classified as normal wear and tear. Need your help to understand if its worth to contest these charges. I am attaching screenshots of bathroom and bathtub herewith for your reference.

quincy

I was staying in rental apartment in New Jersey for 2 years and recently moved out. I stayed in apartment for 2 years with my spouse and daughter. Today rental company sent me moving out statement which mentions bathroom and bathtub resurfacing charges of $400. Considering we are family of 3 and had two bathrooms to share and we stayed there for 2 years bathroom and bathtub had normal wear and tear (white color getting dull). There is no other damages to bathrooms or bathtub. Now I not sure if rental company should charge me for normal wear and tear or even if it can be classified as normal wear and tear. Need your help to understand if its worth to contest these charges. I am attaching screenshots of bathroom and bathtub herewith for your reference.

I see stains and mold. Regular cleaning should have prevented both.

FarmerJ

If those were just water / rust type stains on the shower pan a few drops of toilet cleaner and a lot of scrubbing would have removed even old marks. As to the tub you did not say how old it was or if it was fibre glass or enamel finished like real old tubs BUT if it was worn finish as in a older tub that had regular powdered cleanser used on it often the finish could have been worn thin, or like with a fibre glass tub the surface could have become etched. Which goes back to cleaning with something strong enough to make it look better ( think like how bleach temporarily brightens up white things like Ts and socks and unders ) If you can prove they were in that same condition when you moved in then use that as the proof in court when you challenge the LL for it via civil suit asking for that money back. if it was just cleaning issues then I suggest if you sued the LL for that money back they should be able to prove that they spent that much to correct the damage.

izzie02

It may have been a previously resurfaced tub and shower pan. I've heard that sometimes doesn't last longer than a few years. Tenant should not have to pay for upkeep of the bathroom fixtures. If all it needs is cleaning then he should only pay for cleaning. If the surface wears so badly with normal use that's on the LL.

Gail in Georgia

While you may receive a good number of suggestions as to whether this is normal wear and tear versus damages, the legal answer is if you wish to contest this (and I am assuming this is coming out of your security deposit) the usual step is to write what is known as a "demand" letter, demanding this return from your deposit and giving the landlord/management a certain number of days (say, two weeks) to return these funds. If no response (or a response not to your satisfaction) your next step is to consider filing a lawsuit. Such lawsuits are typically heard in Small Claims court as they involve relatively small amounts of money in dispute.
Your evidence as to the condition of the tub at move out will be these pictures.
The court will decide who is "more right".

Gail

zddoodah

Need your help to understand if its worth to contest these charges.
No one here has any ability to help you make this determination. Is $400 of such importance to you that it's worth filing a small claims court and taking the time to handle it? It's also worth noting that your "after" pictures aren't particularly helpful without corresponding "before" pictures.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">