• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving out-Keys, the landlord, and too early

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NH

We had some issues with the landlord in which I posted here a few weeks back. When we went to court over the issue we won, unfortunately it shows as an eviction still and so we are having a problem finding a place.

Anyway, the court agreement was we would move on the 13th, this Friday. It also stated that he would stay away from the apartment till we vacated due to his harassment of me.

Tonight around 6:10pm my door knob on my front door was moving. I noticed it and the kids started making noise which prompted a knock at the door. I opened the door and the landlord was outside the door sticking keys into the lock to "figure out which one opened the door." Then he kept demanding my keys, because he needs them.

He can have the keys when I move OUT this Friday but not before then I kept telling him this but for 20 minutes he tried out the keys to the front and back door. Finally he discovered the backdoor key worked. He stated that he wants the keys turned in by 6pm. His attorney says we have till midnight on Friday and technically could take the weekend (his attorney offered us that time because of DH's work schedule).

Landlords attorney has recieved the money each week, and I have reciepts, and there is no reason for this.

Is there anything I can do to ensure that for the rest of the week I don't have to worry about him just entering the property or are my rights pretty much terminated?

Who's Liable?

I would call the police and inform them that the LL has violated a court order by coming near the apartment... Next time, call the police...

I did call. The response I got was he didn't enter the apartment so he wasn't actually in a violation. They can't keep him out of the "common hallways of his building".

Who's Liable?

Read the court order carefully to determine if the judge stated a certain distance from the apartment, or if it was for the interior o the unit.

Its the interior of the unit. The fact that he was using the keys thinking no one was here tells me he was trying to gain access.

I am not sure if this is classified as more harrassment or what. He kept insisting on the keys etc. He can have them after the contracted agreement is up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">