• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

moving out of state with a child after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



i am getting ready to move from ohio to michigan. two of my children are legally my exhusbands. our divorce papers state that i have full custody, they do not say that i can't take them out of state to live. is there anything i need to do with the courts to make sure it is legal and he can't try to fight me for taking them over state line to live? the chidren are 9 and 5. i also have a child in which i am in the seperated from his father an plan on filing once i meet the resident requirments in michigan so that my son will be a ward of those courts instead of ohio courts. do i need to do anything with him as well to legally move across the state line with him?



not sure on the laws in your state, but as a general rule from dealing with a similar issue you should contact an attorney to make sure of the process or look up ohio state laws about child custody and relocating. a father can petition the move, they may not win, but they can try. one thing that i've heard of people doing is going to the courts to get a court order allowing them to move across state lines, IF it is in the best interest of the children. According to the national regulations stated in the 'uniform child custody jurisdiction and enforcement act' the state with jurisdiction is generally the state which the child has resided in for the last 6 months. another thing to be aware of is that depending on the whole situation, your ex may be try to bring up kidnapping charges for moving with your kids out of state if he is against the move and you do so anyways.
good luck,
keep in mind i am not a lawyer and the information given is from references that may not pretain to your state or you exact situation, but just trying to heed a few possible warnings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential