• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

moving out of state with custody of children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I have custody of my three children. I would like to know if I am allowed to move out of state. My custody papers do not say anything about moving...


Senior Member
what state are you in?

some states require permission of the ex or the courts before relocation.

if you move off without it, you run the risk of the courts forcing your return to maintain custody or forcing you to return the kids in the ex's custody.

there are requirements, such as an intent to relocate. a time frame, usually 45-60 days prior to the move.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential