• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oregon
I have been accepted to optometry school to become a doctor and plan on moving to California in Aug 2006 (that is where the school is located). I have "physical custody" of my 6 y.o son, and "joint legal" custody with his father. His father and I have a good relationship as far as our son is concerned. I am concerned that he may give me some trouble when I attempt to move. My question....what rights do I have? Can he prevent me from moving with my son to California? What steps to I need to take to get this taken care of legally (ie: notify courts? how? mediator? etc). So far my x-husband sounds willing to agree to this, I just worry that when it comes time for me to move, he will cause problems, and I would just like to get this taken care of now, before it can cause problems preventing me to move. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.


Senior Member
You need to give him notice via registered letter. You guys should come up with a new parenting plan and you should burden the costs of transportation. If you guys can do that, you should file it through the court so it be will an official CO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential