• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Maryland- I want to leave my husband, he is very lazy and controlling. I have no family or friends to support me here, and the cost of living will prevent me from succeeding with this separation. I tried it twice and got in a financial bind and had to move back with him. I want to move my kids and myself to Pa.(about 4 hours away)where my family is. I can be settled in before school starts and it is much easier to afford housing and day care there.
Will he be able to prevent me from leaving? He hates to lose and will try to make it hard for me, he always does.
Thank you



i am not an attorney, but currently my boyfriend is on the other end of his ex trying to move with his daughter out of state. he is currently in the process of petitioning this move in order to keep his daughter in the state. part of the petition is trying for custody. so if you are planning on moving out of state, he can petition it through maryland courts and can petition for custody. from my understanding of all of this, you can move, but your kids may not be able to go with you if he petitions it. consult a lawyer before you make any big moves to make sure that you go through the right process if you want your kids to go with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential