• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving states while registering a newly purchased car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Natally97

Hello!

I am currently living in Massachusetts but will be moving to New Hampshire for graduate school in two weeks. I recently bought a new car from a dealership in NH. Feeling rushed, I signed the financing papers and put down a $2,500 deposit. I thought I wouldn’t be able to buy it after becoming a student because I wouldn’t get the same 2.2% rate when I quit my job, especially as a foreigner with no U.S. co-signer and new residency.

The vehicle I purchased is still "in transit" and has not been delivered to the dealer, so I haven't taken possession of it yet. I am wondering if there is a way for me to register the car directly in NH instead of registering it twice (first in MA and then in NH). Paying a hefty sales tax in MA when I might already be in NH is heartbreaking. I can provide a letter from my university confirming my upcoming NH address, the only thing that worries me is the move-in date which is set in for July 28th (in two weeks). Is there anything I could do about it?

Thank you ahead of time for any advice/thoughts!

LdiJ

Hello!

I am currently living in Massachusetts but will be moving to New Hampshire for graduate school in two weeks. I recently bought a new car from a dealership in NH. Feeling rushed, I signed the financing papers and put down a $2,500 deposit. I thought I wouldn’t be able to buy it after becoming a student because I wouldn’t get the same 2.2% rate when I quit my job, especially as a foreigner with no U.S. co-signer and new residency.

The vehicle I purchased is still "in transit" and has not been delivered to the dealer, so I haven't taken possession of it yet. I am wondering if there is a way for me to register the car directly in NH instead of registering it twice (first in MA and then in NH). Paying a hefty sales tax in MA when I might already be in NH is heartbreaking. I can provide a letter from my university confirming my upcoming NH address, the only thing that worries me is the move-in date which is set in for July 28th (in two weeks). Is there anything I could do about it?

Thank you ahead of time for any advice/thoughts!
Have you discussed this with the dealer? Not the fact that you are quitting your job and moving to become a student, but just the fact that you are moving in two weeks and would prefer to register the car in NH and not pay MA sales tax? I am sure that the dealer deals with that sort of thing on a regular basis. The dealer normally provides a temporary license plate anyway that is good for a week or two.

Natally97

Have you discussed this with the dealer? Not the fact that you are quitting your job and moving to become a student, but just the fact that you are moving in two weeks and would prefer to register the car in NH and not pay MA sales tax? I am sure that the dealer deals with that sort of thing on a regular basis. The dealer normally provides a temporary license plate anyway that is good for a week or two.
Thank you for your response! I am amazed at how quickly I got it.
I did mention that, yet the dealer pressured me by telling me that I might not get the same interest rate if I apply for financing in NH since I won't have a history of living there as I do in MA. He seemed very clueless and now I feel that I rushed. I wonder if I could reach out and ask them to change the address for the registration? I haven't received the car and I don't care if it is at the dealer's lot until I can physically get to the Town Clerk in NH. I'm not sure if I would have trouble with RMV in MA since I'm in between moving or if I break the law anyhow.

adjusterjack

You can ask but count on the dealer not changing anything for you. He's got your money and the financing is locked in.

LdiJ

Thank you for your response! I am amazed at how quickly I got it.
I did mention that, yet the dealer pressured me by telling me that I might not get the same interest rate if I apply for financing in NH since I won't have a history of living there as I do in MA. He seemed very clueless and now I feel that I rushed. I wonder if I could reach out and ask them to change the address for the registration? I haven't received the car and I don't care if it is at the dealer's lot until I can physically get to the Town Clerk in NH. I'm not sure if I would have trouble with RMV in MA since I'm in between moving or if I break the law anyhow.
I don't know what your address or what state you are living in has to do with the financing. Your credit is your credit even if you happen to live over the border. Is it required in MA that the dealer handle the registration for you? If it is not, then perhaps you should be telling the dealer that you want to handle the registration yourself rather than having them handle it for you. Yes, that means you will have the inconvenience of having to go to the DMV in NH to arrange the registration, but that would cut out MA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">