• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

moving with the Army

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrsburns

What is the name of your state?South Carolina

I have two daughters, a 13 yr old that lives with her dad (by choice) and a 7 yr old that lives with me. My husband of 16 months has enlisted in the army and we are awaiting orders. I want to take my 7 yr old with me wherever we go, but our divorce papers say I have to live within a 45 mile radius of her father. I am willing to change visitation to include whole summers and part Christmas holidays instead of every other weekend; I am not trying to take her away from her dad, he has gotten her on his weekends and paid child support on time. I am even willing to put child support in an account for daughter to use for her air fare back to see her dad. My oldest daughter has always been a daddy's girl, since I had her very young, she doesn't have any interest in being with me, although I do see her every other weekend.

Do I even have a chance at retaining custody and changing visitation without ex's okay?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You'd have to do it through the court, but no one can tell you whether or not you'll successful.

LdiJ

mrsburns said:

I have two daughters, a 13 yr old that lives with her dad (by choice) and a 7 yr old that lives with me. My husband of 16 months has enlisted in the army and we are awaiting orders. I want to take my 7 yr old with me wherever we go, but our divorce papers say I have to live within a 45 mile radius of her father. I am willing to change visitation to include whole summers and part Christmas holidays instead of every other weekend; I am not trying to take her away from her dad, he has gotten her on his weekends and paid child support on time. I am even willing to put child support in an account for daughter to use for her air fare back to see her dad. My oldest daughter has always been a daddy's girl, since I had her very young, she doesn't have any interest in being with me, although I do see her every other weekend.

Do I even have a chance at retaining custody and changing visitation without ex's okay?
I see a potential problem here (outside of the fact that you may or may not win permission to relocated with your 7 year old). That problem is that in order for you to have time with the 13 year old, and the 7 year old to have time with dad, the two kids won't end up spending any real time together....and that isn't good. Think about it? The kids would rarely be with the same parent at the same time....or even have that opportunity. That is something to consider in this whole mix.

VeronicaGia

mrsburns said:

You are putting yourself and your new husband before your child. Your child deserves to have both parents, and she does. Now you want to tell the court that you and your new husbands "wants" are more important than the parent/child relationship that is well established. While no one can tell you what a judge will decide, maybe the 7 year old should live with dad while you and your new husband move from place to place. After all, stability is important. Then you can have visitation with your child and pay child support.

Zephyr

why would your husband enlist in the army knowing that it would lead to tearing the family apart?

maybe he should go on his deployment and you should remain in the area for your kids sake, then whe he is on leave he can be the one to travel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">