• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.




I am on probation in Wisconsin. I have recently become involved with a freind of mine who visits for a few weeks in the summers, and unfortunately, she lives in another part of the country. Since we are very close, and have plans to be together for a very long time, I was wondering if it is possible for me to have my probation transferred out of state. In the year I have been on probation, I have had little trouble, and have always been perfectly cooperative with my P.O. I have searched the internet extensively, and have found no straight foreward answers. I would appreciate any suggestions and answers.

Thank you,


[email protected]



Dear Larry: Yes, you can get transferred to another state. It is called an interstate compact, and you tell your officer where you want to move, and why Ask for a travel pass, and you can go visit to look for a place to live. You will need a home plan, an address that the board of probation and parole's officer in that state/county can go see. The state must agree to accept you, it will take 30-60 days depending on where you live. It is basically a formality. It isn't that difficult, truly. Just ask.


Just a postscript, Larry: I am on probation, I have my travel pass, and am moving out of state. It is doable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential