• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Much needed help?!?!?!?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? California
Okay....about 7 years ago, I worked for a Credit Union and had an checking acct there and I had another checking acct at a bank. Well, to make a long story short, I found myself in financial trouble, so a friend had suggested that I "kite" a check. Well, it got out of hand...I didn't use the same amounts for the checks that I deposited into both accts, :)confused: am I making sense?)for example the checks were initially $100-200, but I remembered reading some where that the financial institution starts to become suspicous of accts that have the same deposit amounts (other then a payroll check), so I increased the amounts. Finally, the credit union realized what was going on and I got fired. So the other bank went negative, because I didn't have an acct to write a check off of, so it went negative. The kiting amount was at $10,000 to 15,000. But I never used any of that money! 2 years later, I was sent a judgement for approx $15,000. I didn't attend the judgement hearing, afraid of being arrested (I was pregnant). Okay fast forward to the now, my wages are being garnished for the whole amount. I'm a newly single parent, I work for a non-profit organization....I know I can do the whole "Exemption" deal (which I am asking them to except $100 a month instead of 25% of my monthly income), but I would like to know if I can fight the amount without any legal action from the bank? I can't go to jail!!! I know I owe them money, but $15,000 and that is without court fees. Or should I just keep my mouth shut and pay the money for the rest of my life?


Senior Member
messedupkitty said:
I would like to know if I can fight the amount without any legal action from the bank?
The statute of limitations has expired on any criminal action that they might have brought against you. However, I am curious.... what would your challenge be based on??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential