• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mugshot websites - interesting article

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I know there have been several threads started about the mugshot websites that charge users to remove the photos. Looks like the public is revolting:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/nightline-fix-abc-news/busted-mug-shot-sites-feeling-heat-152621366.html?vp=1

"...Credit card companies are now also pitching in by refusing to process transactions for mug shot website operators. American Express said in a statement to "Nightline" that it "maintains the right to terminate any relationship that is harmful to our brand. When the sites were brought to our attention, we conducted a detailed review and canceled as appropriate."

PayPal said it now has a new policy, saying there will be an "account suspension of any mug shot site that requires payment for removal."

Even search engine giant Google made headlines when it released a new search algorithm targeting the mug shot website industry. Now mug shot websites are pushed far down the list of average search results..."

quincy

I know there have been several threads started about the mugshot websites that charge users to remove the photos. Looks like the public is revolting:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/nightline-fix-abc-news/busted-mug-shot-sites-feeling-heat-152621366.html?vp=1

"...Credit card companies are now also pitching in by refusing to process transactions for mug shot website operators. American Express said in a statement to "Nightline" that it "maintains the right to terminate any relationship that is harmful to our brand. When the sites were brought to our attention, we conducted a detailed review and canceled as appropriate."

PayPal said it now has a new policy, saying there will be an "account suspension of any mug shot site that requires payment for removal."

Even search engine giant Google made headlines when it released a new search algorithm targeting the mug shot website industry. Now mug shot websites are pushed far down the list of average search results..."
It has been moving in this direction for a few years now, with several states conducting investigations into the operations of the mug shot and arrest web sites. These investigations have been spurred in part by several lawsuits filed against the sites by individuals in Florida, Nebraska, California, DC, Texas and Illinois (among others). Some of the suits have been based on privacy grounds, extortion and defamation, and they have had varying degrees of success.

A recent thread by tranquility, with the intriguing title "Remove my nude photo" (;)), can be accessed at https://forum.freeadvice.com/arrests-searches-warrants-procedure-26/remove-my-nude-photo-602148.html. He provided a link to a California government website press release in his thread.

All I can say is that it is about time.

Mug shots have a legitimate purpose. Entertainment of the public is not it, nor is profiting from the removal of mug shots from the sites where they appear.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">