• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple DBAs under one LLC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

businessguy21

I'm currently running two drop shipping eCommerce businesses, one as an LLC (my main business) and one as a sole proprietorship (just a side hustle).

I learned that i can have multiple DBAs under the same LLC and i will be adding the second business under the LLC to have more protection.

I have ideas for other stores that i want to start. My questions are: Can I add them under the same LLC as well? And if i decided to close one of these stores, would i have to file a form to cancel the DBA or can i leave it unused? And if i ever decided to end everything, will the process of closing the LLC be the same if i have multiple DBAs?

My state in New Jersey.

Your help is appreciated!:)

quincy

DBAs are not legal entities separate from the LLC.

Your LLC can have several DBAs.

If you decide to discontinue the use of one of the fictitious (DBA) names you are using, you could just stop using the name. The name will be presumed abandoned after a 3 year continuous period of nonuse.

You should seek out advice from a business law professional in your area to discuss whether forming an LLC for each business you are contemplating makes better sense (tax-wise, financial-wise, asset protection-wise) than does adding several DBAs to your existing LLC.

Good luck.

FlyingRon

The whole point of registering the DBA is so that people can find the REAL entity for that fictitious name. The DBA itself, as Q says, is not an entity just an alias for what it refers to, be it a corporation, an LLC, or an individual.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">