• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Municipal Court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wjkisli1980

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Hello there, I have a question and found nothing by searching so decided to ask,

I have a court date in Municipal Court in GA, the court date is this Monday and I have no funds for a lawyer to speak on my behalf of my DUI charges, the question is, (The last time I went to court is when I was a teenager and I forgot by now,) If I can't afford a lawyer/ PD will the court appoint me one before going in front of the judge or not?

zddoodah

I have a court date in Municipal Court in GA, the court date is this Monday
This Monday was two days ago. Did you mean next Monday, September 21? Also, what is the purpose of the court appearance? Arraignment? Trial? Something else?

If I can't afford a lawyer/ PD will the court appoint me one before going in front of the judge or not?
First of all, I assume you've been charged with violating section 40-6-391 of the Georgia Code. Correct? If so, then incarceration is a possibility, so you probably should be able to have a PD appointed (assuming you meet the financial qualifications). When you arrive in the courtroom, find the clerk and ask about this. Or, as soon as your case is called, make a request of the judge to have counsel appointed. Of course, the specific practices and policies of the county where your case is pending are imporant.

quincy

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Hello there, I have a question and found nothing by searching so decided to ask,

I have a court date in Municipal Court in GA, the court date is this Monday and I have no funds for a lawyer to speak on my behalf of my DUI charges, the question is, (The last time I went to court is when I was a teenager and I forgot by now,) If I can't afford a lawyer/ PD will the court appoint me one before going in front of the judge or not?
When you appear before the judge, plead “not guilty” and request an attorney be appointed. Another hearing will be scheduled.

After your court appearance, you will need to submit to the court a financial statement to see if you are eligible for a public defender.

adjusterjack

You may have to apply for a public defender in advance of your appearance. Google public defender for your city and see what you can find out.

quincy

The judge should ask if you need an attorney. The important thing is that, if you must appear in court without an attorney, plead not guilty. Leave it at that. Do not try to present a defense.

Wait for an attorney, either hired or appointed, to assist you. You should have enough time between your first hearing and your second hearing to line up legal representation.

adjusterjack

You CANNOT be serious.
Monday, September 14th. was LAST Monday. This coming Monday (very frequently shortened to "this Monday") would be Monday, September 21st.
That makes no sense. Your way makes the week of September 20th through September 26th this week, which it obviously isn't because it's next week.

This week is the week of September 13th through September 19th which makes Monday the 14th this Monday.

Monday September 21st is next Monday.

Monday September 7th was last Monday.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That makes no sense. Your way makes the week of September 20th through September 26th this week, which it obviously isn't because it's next week.

This week is the week of September 13th through September 19th which makes Monday the 14th this Monday.

Monday September 21st is next Monday.

Monday September 7th was last Monday.
If somebody told you "I have to go to jury duty this Monday", would you not understand that he was speaking of the upcoming Monday and NOT two days ago?

That's the point.

quincy

My tolerance for those who feign ignorance when responding to posts is nearing depletion. If you cannot understand what a poster is saying perhaps it is best if you don’t respond at all. Geez.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In fairness, I will admit that this is a "hazy" thing a lot of the time. For example. I would say that Wednesday of next week is "next Wednesday", but I wouldn't say that Friday is "next Friday", it would be "this Friday". In any case, the OP's intent was crystal clear

adjusterjack

If somebody told you "I have to go to jury duty this Monday", would you not understand that he was speaking of the upcoming Monday and NOT two days ago?
Common sense would tell me that he probably means the unpoming Monday but there is always the possibility that he meant September 14th and screwed up royally. I would ask him does he mean next Monday the 21st because this Monday of this week is already gone.

Your way again. If Monday the 21st is this Monday, what's Monday the 28th? Next Monday? That certainly doesn't make any sense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">